Apr 22, 2021  
Undergraduate Catalog 2011-2012 
Undergraduate Catalog 2011-2012 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Grading System Regulations

Return to Academic Regulations 

Grading System

Students are to be graded in courses according to the traditional system of letter grades (A, B, C, D and F).

Retention Standards
The Board of Trustees has mandated uniform student retention standards for all the colleges that are part of the City University system. Under these standards, decisions about whether or not students may continue in a CUNY college are made on the basis of the grade point average (GPA). In order to make these decisions, course grades are assigned quality points (which count toward the GPA), as shown in the following table:

Quality Points Grade Definition (GPA Index)


97.5 - 100% 4.0


92.5 - 97.4% 4.0


90.0 - 92.4% 3.7


87.5 - 89.9% 3.3


82.5 - 87.4% 3.0


80.0 - 82.4% 2.7


77.5 - 79.9% 2.3


70.0 - 77.4% 2.0


60.0 - 69.9% 1.0


0.0 - 59.9% 0.0


Credit earned (equivalent to A, B, C) -


No credit granted -


Official withdrawal (cannot be assigned by instructor) -


Unofficial withdrawal -


Term’s work incomplete. This may include absence from final examination. -


F from incomplete; an administrative grade used when INC reverts to F; this occurs if grade is not made up by the end of the following semester. 0
#F, #FIN, #WU failing grade course repeated  

 (equivalent to F) for fall 2008, spring 2009 and summer 2009 ONLY

        *WN Unofficial withdrawal (Student never attended) - Not counted towards GPA  


Year’s course of study - must complete entire year of study -


Auditor - No Credit -


No grade submitted by instructor (an administrative grade which cannot be assigned by the instructor) -

(preceding a letter grade): authorized course was repeated



(preceeding a letter grade): unauthorized course was repeated -


Administrative withdrawal - Proof of immunization not provided -

Credit/No Credit
A system based on the non-letter grades of Credit/No Credit, where Credit is the equivalent of A, B or C and No Credit is the equivalent of D or F. Credit/No Credit grades are not averaged into the GPA; course requirements are the same as in the traditional grading system.



There are certain restrictions about how and when the student may choose the Credit/No Credit system:

  1. A maximum of four courses (including repeated courses) at Hunter College may be taken on a Credit/No Credit basis excluding remedial/developmental courses and any courses with mandatory CR/NC grading.
  2. Credit/No Credit grades are not allowed for students on probation.
  3. When a student chooses the Credit/No Credit option and earns a D as the final grade, the student may choose to receive either the D or a grade of No Credit.
  4. If (as a result of a student’s request) a Credit/No Credit is given where it is not an allowed grade according to existing regulations, it will be converted to a letter grade by the Registrar’s Office. Credit grades will be changed to C; No Credit grades will be changed to F.
  5. With approval of the Senate, departments may prohibit the use of Credit/No Credit grades in major courses, especially in those areas in which outside certification is required. Credit/No Credit grades are not permitted in education, nursing, pre-engineering, premedical, health sciences, nutrition and food science and prelaw. All students should check with their departmental advisers for specific policies.

The Credit/No Credit system may be elected by students up until the beginning of the final exam (or the due date for handing in the last term paper, if there is no final exam). Credit/No Credit forms are available on the Office of the Registrar web page at http://registrar.hunter.cuny.edu. Full instructions are included on the form. Credit/No Credit is an agreement between a student and the student’s instructor or professor.  When departmental policies allow, request forms must be accepted by the instructor. Students requesting grading according to this system must satisfy whatever attendance requirement has been set by the instructor, complete all the assignments and take the final examination. It should be noted that the grade of No Credit shall be used only to replace the academic grades of D and F. It shall not be used to replace the grades of WU or IN. A No Credit grade may not override the FIN grade.

Courses at Other Accredited Institutions (Permit)

Currently enrolled degree students may take courses at other accredited institutions (CUNY or other) provided the appropriate procedures are followed. A department may refuse to authorize a permit if, in its judgment, it is inappropriate to do so.

Students wishing to apply for courses at another CUNY campus may apply to do so by registering for an E-permit through the CUNY portal available at www.cuny.edu. At the CUNY portal home page, you must log in to begin the process. Students wishing to register for courses at non-CUNY institutions must complete a permit form to attend another college. The form is available in the OASIS.

In all cases, permits are authorized by the appropriate department and administered by the Office of the Registrar.

It is the responsibility of students who study at other institutions to have official transcripts of their work sent to the Office of the Registrar. Effective fall 2004, grades for courses taken on permit at CUNY schools are posted to the student’s record and are computed in the GPA.

Note: Hunter students may not take courses on permit during their final semester prior to graduation.


Undergraduate students who need 15 credits or fewer to fulfill their degree requirements and who have completed the General Education Requirement (including pluralism and diversity, writing and foreign language requirements) and the major requirements and have fulfilled all college requirements for graduation, may apply for graduation-in-absentia if they must leave the city before completing their studies. They may attend an accredited college in the United States or abroad. The degree audit division of the Registrar’s office has further information. Students who must leave before these criteria are met should apply for transfer to another college. Students should contact Advising Services, Room 1119 East  http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/studentservices/advising for more information.

Retention on the Basis of Grade Point Average

General scholarship is indicated by a college GPA (also referred to as the “cumulative index” or “index”). Each student is expected to know how to figure the GPA and is expected to compute it each semester. Students admitted with advanced standing or transfer credits cannot use previous grades earned at other colleges in the computation of the GPA, but the number of their transfer credits will be added to the total Hunter College credits to determine retention. This means that students must have achieved a given GPA by the time they have completed a certain number of credits or they will be placed on probation and if insufficient improvement is made within a specified period, they will be subject to dismissal for poor scholarship. The standards guiding these decisions are as follows:

Retention and Probation-Undergraduate The grade point average earned over the total period of a student’s attendance indicates the adequacy of each student’s scholarship. Below you will find minimum standards for retention and probation. Students who fail to achieve the required academic standards will be placed on academic probation. During this probationary period students who make satisfactory academic progress will continue to maintain their academic standing with the college and their concurrent eligibility for financial aid. Students who fail to achieve the required academic standards while on probation will be dismissed from Hunter College and the university system. Reminder: Academic requirements are the student’s responsibility. A student is automatically on probation when he/she fails to achieve the required standards, whether he/she has received notification of such probation from the college or not. Therefore, always be aware of your cumulative GPA. Students on academic probation should visit the Center for Student Achievement, Room C001 Hunter North.

The following table shows the minimum grade point average which each undergraduate student must meet:

Total Credits Computed for the GPA Cumulative GPA
(A+ through F, WU, and FIN) (Index)
0-12 1.5
13-24 1.75
25+ 2.0

The academic probation status remains on students’ record for the entire semester on which the code was placed. Change of grades will only affect students’ probation status at the end of the semester in which the change of grade is posted. For example if a change of grade is submitted mid-semester resulting in the student’s GPA being raised to the required GPA the probation code will not be removed. Conversely, if the change of grade results the student’s grade point average dropping below the required GPA the student will not be place on probation mid-semester. The probation code is removed at the end of the semester if the student’s GPA reaches the required GPA.

Summer sessions are considered part of the following fall semester, therefore, grades earned during the Summer sessions will impact students’ probation status at the end of the following fall semester.

Hunter’s normal probation appeals procedure will continue to consider individual cases and to make such exception to these policies as circumstances may warrant.

Students dropped from the college may not be readmitted until they have been separated from the university for at least one semester or equivalent calendar time. Students must obtain an application for readmission at the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Room 203 Hunter North. Students who are separated from the college may not enroll for credit-bearing courses in any unit of the university in any status.

Dismissal from the College and the City University

Students who fail to achieve the required academic standards will be placed on academic probation. Students who fail to achieve the required academic standards while on probation will be dismissed from Hunter College and the CUNY system.

Students may appeal an academic dismissal and should discuss the preparation of such an appeal with an academic adviser in the Office of Student Services, Room 1119 Hunter East. The Senate Committee on Student Standing reviews all appeals and makes the final determinations.

Tuition and fees will be refunded to a student who is dismissed for failure to meet the required academic standards after having registered.

Students who withdraw from the college when their GPA is below the required academic standards will be automatically dismissed from the university. Students who have been dismissed or who have withdrawn when their GPA is below required academic standards may not be readmitted until they have been separated from the university system for at least one fall or spring semester. Students who wish to apply for readmission after separation of one or more semesters must file an application at the Office of Admissions, Room 203 Hunter North. Applications must be filed at least three months prior to the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to re-enter.

Until such time as they are eligible to apply for readmission, students who are separated from the university may not enroll for credit-bearing courses in any unit of the university in any status.

Incomplete Work in Course When a student for valid reason does not complete the work assigned in a course (including the final exam, papers, etc.) and in the view of the instructor still has a reasonable chance to pass the course, the student shall be given the grade INC (incomplete). The student must explain the reason to the instructor or, in the absence of the instructor, to the department chair and arrange a schedule for making up the missing coursework. These steps must be taken as soon as possible and no later than the end of the second week of the following semester. The student shall then be given the opportunity to complete the course without penalty beyond previously established penalties for lateness.

The length of time permitted for completing missing coursework remains at the discretion of the instructor and shall be indicated in writing to the student, but shall not extend beyond the end of the semester following the one in which the course was taken. Unless the student submits the work by the date specified by the instructor, the grade will automatically become FIN on the student’s permanent record. (Under certain circumstances, where the student must repeat class sessions or laboratories in a course not given during the following semester, the FIN grade may later be converted to the appropriate letter grade.)

Instructors and departments may choose to have make-up final examinations administered by the college. Such examinations will be given before Monday of the seventh week of the following semester. It is the responsibility of the student who must take an absentee examination to determine from the instructor or department whether it will be administered by the college, to file the appropriate form and to pay any required fee by the deadline specified by the college.

If the faculty member wishes to extend the deadline for the student to complete the coursework beyond one semester, the faculty member and the student must enter into a written contract clearly specifying the deadline. This contract must be written during the semester following the one in which the course was taken. The student must be aware that the INC grade will change to a FIN grade until the work is completed. The written contract must accompany the change of grade form. If a student has not filed a contract with the faculty member but still wishes to complete the work and have a FIN grade changed, the student can appeal to the Senate Grade Appeals Committee. The appeal must include the reason for failing to complete the work and must be accompanied by a supporting letter from the faculty member who issued the INC grade or, if the faculty member is no longer at the college, from the department chair. Appeals with no endorsement will be denied.

Repeating Courses

  1. Students shall not be permitted to repeat a course in which they have received a grade of A, B, C or CR unless that course has been designated as repeatable in the course description of the college catalog.
  2. Students may repeat a course in which a D was received. The credit for that course will be applied toward the degree once, but both the grade of D and the second grade earned are calculated in the grade point average. If the course is part of a sequence, it should be repeated before continuing the sequence.
  3. A student who has received a grade of D or NC twice (or any combination of these grades) in the same course may re register for the course only with the permission of the department offering the course. This rule does not apply to ENGL 12000  .
  4. If a student receives a failing grade (F, WU, FIN) in a course and then retakes that course and receives a grade of A, B, C or CR, the initial failing grade will remain on his/her academic record, but will no longer be computed into the grade point average. A “Failing Grade Course Repeat Form” must be filed in the OASIS, Room 217 Hunter North.

    • The original course in which the failing grade was received must have been taken after September 1, 1984 and repeated after September 1, 1990.
    • No more than 16 credits may be deleted from the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.
    • If two or more failing grades have been received for the same course and a grade of C, CR or better is subsequently earned, all of the failing grades for that course will be deleted from the grade point average, subject to the 16-credit limit.
    • The 16-credit limit applies cumulatively to courses taken at all CUNY colleges.
    • The repeated course must be taken at the same college as the initially failed course.

School of Nursing

In order to be allowed to continue in the nursing major, students must receive minimum grades of C in all required nursing courses. One required nursing course (Generic Pathway: NURS 200, 310, 312, 331, 332, 380, 410, 412, 419, 421; RN Pathway: NURS 379, 380, 381, 384, 480, 482) is repeatable once by students who have received a failing grade. Students who fail a second required nursing course in the sequence may not repeat that course and may not continue in the nursing major. This policy applies even though a grade appeal is in progress.

Note: Other colleges, graduate schools, professional schools, services and employers may calculate a grade point average inclusive of the failing grades. For questions regarding this policy, check with the Office of
Student Services.

Appeals – Grades When a student considers a final course grade unsatisfactory, the student should first confer with the instructor regarding the accuracy of the grade received. This conference should be held within the first three weeks of the semester following receipt of the grade. At this time, errors may be corrected. If the grade is not an error, the student and instructor must together review all class material pertinent to the grade. If the student is not satisfied or if the instructor does not confer with the student within the first three weeks of the semester, the student should promptly contact the department chair by submitting a written appeal, consisting of a statement giving the factual reasons and basis for the complaint. The student has the right to request in writing that the chair appoint a student as a member of the department/school Grade Appeals Committee. This appeal at the department/school level must be submitted within the first five weeks of the semester following receipt of the grade, in accordance with the “College-wide Grade Appeals Procedures” adopted by the Senate in fall 1985. Copies of this procedure may be obtained in the Senate Office, the Office of Student Services or departmental offices.

Students appealing grades to the School of Nursing or the School of Health Sciences should direct their appeal to the director of the school. Students appealing grades to the School of Social Work should direct the appeal to the dean of the school, who shall carry out the responsibilities of the department chair.