Oct 20, 2021  
Undergraduate Catalog 2013-2014 
Undergraduate Catalog 2013-2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Requirements for Graduation

Academic Programs and Policies 

Requirement for Graduation: Hunter Core Requirement and Major Field of Study

The total number of credits for the bachelor’s degree is 120. In order to earn a bachelor’s degree at Hunter College, a student must fulfill not only the Hunter Core Requirement , but also must select a major field of study (major). A major is a concentration of courses in a particular subject area. A major for a BA usually consists of 24 to 30 credits; a major for a BS is approximately 60 credits. 

All majors offered by Hunter College have been authorized by the New York State Education Department. See Inventory of Registered Programs www.nysed.gov/heds/irpsl1.html.

Requirements for a Major

All matriculated students must declare a major no later than the semester in which the combination of credits earned and credits for which they are currently registered totals 60 or greater. Transfer students entering with 60 credits or more must declare their major before the end of their first semester of attendance at Hunter. Students may find that some courses and career opportunities are available to them only if they have declared a major. In addition, under New York State guidelines, students who have not yet declared a major by the 60-credit point, or changed their major/program, by the end of the drop/add period of the semester are ineligible for TAP financial aid. To declare or change a major, students should print a Major Declaration Approval form at registrar.hunter.cuny.edu/subpages/forms.shtml, and confer with an adviser in the major department.

For students who are nearing the 61-credit point and remain undecided about their choice of major, there are a number of avenues of assistance. Designated faculty in each academic department advise prospective majors about the undergraduate programs and related career possibilities. Also, the counselors in the Office of Student Services and Career Development Services offer assistance in choosing a major. The college is concerned that students select their major with careful consideration and with good knowledge of the range of options. 

To earn a Hunter degree, students must complete at least half of their major credits at Hunter.  

Double Major 

It is possible to have a double major in the BA degree. The student must complete all of the Hunter Core Requirement, satisfy the sequence of study for both majors and file a major declaration form for each approved major. The double major must consist of courses taken in liberal arts departments or programs. 

BA students have the option of declaring up to three majors. Courses cannot be shared between majors, nor between majors and minors. Majors cannot be changed during the graduating term.

The Minor 

A minor is a secondary concentration usually related to the student’s educational or career goals. A minor program consists of a set of courses that are defined as a minor by an academic department or program. A minor encompasses at least 12 and at most 18 credits. Fulfilling the requirements for a minor is an option for students who want to document abilities in an academic field in addition to their major. It is left to the decision of individual departments or programs whether they offer a set of courses leading to a minor. Interdisciplinary minors may be established between two or more departments. While it is possible to declare more than one major, a student has the option of declaring up to two minors .

To declare or change a minor, a student should print a Minor Declaration Approval form at registrar.hunter.cuny.edu/subpages/forms.shtml and confer with an adviser in the minor department.

In order to graduate with a minor in a specific field, a student must maintain a grade point average of at least 2.0 in the courses taken in that field. Minors require that at least one half of the credits be taken at Hunter College. Courses from the minor may be used without limit to satisfy Hunter Core Requirement, Writing and Pluralism & Diversity. Although this does not lessen the number of credits required for the degree, it frees those credits to be used in an elective area. 

Adolescent Education

Students who want to become teachers in secondary schools must complete the adolescent education sequence of 23 credits and may also have to take some liberal arts courses beyond those required for the Hunter Core Requirement. In order to be admitted to this program, students must apply to the School of Education. See School of Education  for the admission process.  The adolescent education program leads to initial NYS certification.

Major requirements  

Courses taken in the major may satisfy Hunter Common Core. However, students may take no more than two courses from one department or program to fulfill CUNY Common Core categories of English Composition 2 through Individual and Society humanities and social science.

Departmental Majors 

BA Degree These are majors concentrated within one department. The major for a BA usually consists of 24 to 42 credits. In order to graduate, a student must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the courses designated for the major. Major departments may have higher requirements. Each student should consult the major department for details and also check the department’s description of the major in the catalog.

The following are departments and/or programs that offer majors leading to the BA degree. 

Africana and Puerto Rican/Latino Studies












Classical Studies


Computer Science

Physics and Astronomy


Political Science




Romance Languages

Film and Media Studies










Interdepartmental Majors 

BA Degree The following programs leading to the BA degree involve courses in more than one department. For details and names of advisers, see the listing in the departmental section of this catalog. In addition to the interdepartmental fields of study, the college also offers individual interdisciplinary courses in the humanities, social sciences, sciences and mathematics and health sciences.



Comparative Literature

Urban Studies

Jewish Studies

Women and Gender Studies

Fields of Specialization or Professional Studies

 BS, BFA and BMus Degrees These programs, each requiring approximately 60 credits in the area of specialization, lead to the BS, BFA or BMus degree.* The following programs are available. For details and names of advisers, see the listing in the departmental section of this catalog.

Accounting BS (Economics Department)

Studio Art BFA

Community Health BS

Music BMus

Medical Laboratory Sciences BS

Nursing BS


Nutrition and Food Science BS

*As of summer 2009 BS majors may declare up to two BA minors. See the minor department.

Accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s Degrees

These programs enable highly qualified students to earn the bachelor’s and master’s degrees in a shorter period of time than is required for taking the degrees separately. The following programs are available. 


Departmental Advising 

Each department has advisers to help students with such matters as course content, when a course is expected to be given, how a course is conducted (lecture, discussion) and the textbook(s) to be used. Students may want to discuss majoring in a subject before they make their official decision or to inquire about graduate schools. Majors should see the department advisers frequently to discuss their interests. 

Elective (or Optional) Credits

These are credits needed to complete the degree beyond those taken to fulfill the Hunter Core Requirement and the major and minor. Students may choose as electives any courses for which they have the necessary prerequisites. They may take more courses in their major or minor, study another foreign language they will need for graduate work or explore new horizons. The choice is the student’s. No course may be repeated unless it is so stated in the course description in the catalog.

Note: Students may earn credit for the first semester foreign language course (level 101) without completing the second, course, only once.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses

Upon the recommendation of the student’s undergraduate major or program adviser and with the approval of the adviser of the graduate program offering the course, highly qualified undergraduate degree students may take graduate level courses for credit toward the bachelor’s degree. Both the undergraduate and graduate degree adviser must approve the course and provide the student with a letter on department stationery stating that the student may register for the graduate course and the semester being approved. The student then brings the letter signed by the department chairperson or deputy chairperson to the Oasis, Room 217 HN.  If it is determined that the courses were not used for the bachelor’s degree and the graduate transfer is acceptable, then the student will be charged the difference between the undergraduate and graduate tuition rates at the time the student took the course. No course may be applied to both the undergraduate degree and the graduate degree.