Return to The Grading System
Credit/No Credit A system based on the non-letter grades of Credit/No Credit, where Credit is the equivalent of A, B or C and No Credit is the equivalent of D or F. Credit/No Credit grades are not averaged into the GPA; course requirements are the same as in the traditional grading system.
ALERT/NOTE: OTHER COLLEGES, GRADUATE SCHOOLS, PROFESSIONAL SCHOOLS, SERVICES AND EMPLOYERS MAY LOOK WITH DISFAVOR UPON THE USE OF THE CREDIT/NO CREDIT GRADING OPTION AND MAY EVEN CONVERT CREDIT TO C AND NO CREDIT TO F FOR THEIR PURPOSES.
ALERT/NOTE: ELIGIBILITY FOR SOME FINANCIAL AID GRANTS MAY BE AFFECTED BY THE CHOICE OF CREDIT/NO CREDIT GRADES. THIS MUST BE CHECKED BY STUDENTS BEFORE THE OPTION OF CREDIT/NO CREDIT GRADES IS TAKEN.
There are certain restrictions about how and when the student may choose the Credit/No Credit system:
- A maximum of four courses (including repeated courses) at Hunter College may be taken on a Credit/No Credit basis excluding remedial/developmental courses and any courses with mandatory CR/NC grading.
- Credit/No Credit grades are not allowed for students on probation.
- When a student chooses the Credit/No Credit option and earns a D as the final grade, the student may choose to receive either the D or a grade of No Credit.
- If (as a result of a student’s request) a Credit/No Credit is given where it is not an allowed grade according to existing regulations, it will be converted to a letter grade by the Registrar’s Office, Room 217 Hunter North. Credit grades will be changed to C; No Credit grades will be changed to F.
- With approval of the Senate, departments may prohibit the use of Credit/No Credit grades in major courses, especially in those areas in which outside certification is required. Credit/No Credit grades are not permitted in education, nursing, pre-engineering, premedical, health sciences, nutrition and food science and prelaw. All students should check with their departmental advisers for specific policies.
The Credit/No Credit system may be elected by students up until the beginning of the final exam (or the due date for handing in the last term paper, if there is no final exam). Credit/No Credit forms are available on the Office of the Registrar web page at registrar.hunter.cuny.edu/forms/ncrform.pdf. Full instructions are included on the form. Credit/No Credit is an agreement between a student and the student’s instructor or professor. When departmental policies allow, request forms must be accepted by the instructor. Students requesting grading according to this system must satisfy whatever attendance requirement has been set by the instructor, complete all the assignments and take the final examination. It should be noted that the grade of No Credit shall be used only to replace the academic grades of D and F. It shall not be used to replace the grades of WU or IN. A No Credit grade may not override the FIN grade.