The page uses Browser Access Keys to help with keyboard navigation. Click to learn moreSkip to Navigation

Different browsers use different keystrokes to activate accesskey shortcuts. Please reference the following list to use access keys on your system.

Alt and the accesskey, for Internet Explorer on Windows
Shift and Alt and the accesskey, for Firefox on Windows
Shift and Esc and the accesskey, for Windows or Mac
Ctrl and the accesskey, for the following browsers on a Mac: Internet Explorer 5.2, Safari 1.2, Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape 6+.

We use the following access keys on our gateway

n Skip to Navigation
k Accesskeys description
h Help
    Hunter College
  Dec 15, 2017
Undergraduate Catalog 2016-2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Preparation for Social Work

An undergraduate BSW degree is now available at Hunter. It is an upper division program.  Students apply for admission once they have completed between 50 and 80 of their undergraduate credits in liberal arts. Information about the BSW program can be accessed at

If you are considering an MSW program after earning a BA, a major in one of the social or behavioral sciences is preferred.  Specific entrance requirements vary for the different graduate schools of social work. Most schools recommend a minimum of 24 credits in social sciences.  A major in sociology or psychology is desirable for those interested in specializing in work with individuals, families and groups; a major in sociology, political science, economics, or urban affairs is desirable for those interested in community organization.  In addition, field internship courses that provide experience in social work agencies are highly recommended.

Students planning to go to a graduate school for social work, are encouraged to speak with an adviser in the Office of Advising.