Dec 16, 2019  
Graduate Catalog 2018-2019 
Graduate Catalog 2018-2019 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

International Students: Requirements for Admission

  1. An international applicant for admission to Hunter College is expected to have a firm command of the English language before he/she applies. No provisional admission is offered whereby a student may come to the university and spend a semester or a year learning English at the college.
  2. If the applicant plans to enter or remain in the U.S. on a student visa (F-1), it will be necessary to complete a Certification of Finances form and provide documented proof of financial support confirming that he or she has the funds necessary to cover all college tuition and personal expenses (approximately $43,563.70 per year). This form and documentation are required in order to obtain the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility. This procedure takes place after determination of academic eligibility and before registration for the first semester, and is carried out under the auspices of the International Students Office in the Office of Student Services.
  3. Overseas applicants who are interested in attending Hunter College are advised not to come to the U.S. on a B-2 visitor’s visa. Unless prearranged through the American consul (and unless the visa is marked “prospective student”), the B-2 visitor’s visa will not be changed to the F-1 student visa once the applicant enters the U.S. The I-20 form (required by the U.S. Immigration Office) is issued only to students who have been accepted as full-time matriculants.
  4. Applicants are responsible for the payment of all tuition fees at the time of registration. International students must be in a position to finance the cost of their education and living expenses as college-based financial assistance is not available.

Note: Academic credentials from non-U.S. institutions are evaluated by the Office of Graduate Admissions in order to establish U.S. baccalaureate degree equivalency. Applicants need not submit third party equivalencies; however, they must submit official English translations of academic records written in languages other than English. The evaluation is conducted in accordance with minimum criteria set by the Hunter College Senate, and it takes place before the completed application is referred to the departmental admissions committee.