Jun 04, 2020  
Undergraduate Catalog 2019-2020 
Undergraduate Catalog 2019-2020 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Incomplete Work in a Course

When a student for valid reason does not complete the work assigned in a course (including the final exam, papers, etc.) and in the view of the instructor still has a reasonable chance to pass the course, the student shall be given the grade INC (incomplete). The student must explain the reason to the instructor or, in the absence of the instructor, to the department chair and arrange a schedule for making up the missing coursework. These steps must be taken as soon as possible and no later than the end of the second week of the following semester. The student shall then be given the opportunity to complete the course without penalty beyond previously established penalties for lateness.

The length of time permitted for completing missing coursework remains at the discretion of the instructor and shall be indicated in writing to the student, but shall not extend beyond the end of the semester following the one in which the course was taken. Unless the student submits the work by the date specified by the instructor, the grade will automatically become FIN on the student’s permanent record. (Under certain circumstances, where the student must repeat class sessions or laboratories in a course not given during the following semester, the FIN grade may later be converted to the appropriate letter grade.)

Instructors and departments may choose to have make-up final examinations administered by the college. Such examinations will be given before Monday of the seventh week of the following semester. It is the responsibility of the student who must take an absentee examination to determine from the instructor or department whether it will be administered by the college, to file the appropriate form and to pay any required fee by the deadline specified by the college.

If the faculty member wishes to extend the deadline for the student to complete the coursework beyond one semester, the faculty member and the student must enter into a written contract clearly specifying the deadline. This contract must be written during the semester following the one in which the course was taken. The student must be aware that the INC grade will change to a FIN grade until the work is completed. The written contract must accompany the change of grade form. If a student has not filed a contract with the faculty member but still wishes to complete the work and have a FIN grade changed, the student can appeal to the Senate Grade Appeals Committee. The appeal must include the reason for failing to complete the work and must be accompanied by a supporting letter from the faculty member who issued the INC grade or, if the faculty member is no longer at the college, from the department chair. Appeals with no endorsement will be denied.