Apr 19, 2021  
Undergraduate Catalog 2010-2011 
Undergraduate Catalog 2010-2011 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Programs and Policies

Return to General Information 



The Academic Program

The Bachelor of Arts (BA) encompasses sciences, humanities and the arts and the social sciences. It prepares students for positions in profit, nonprofit and government organizations or for graduate programs.

The Bachelor of Science (BS) provides training for a particular career and is therefore considered a professional degree. Hunter offers BS degrees in 5 fields.

The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) is a program concentrating in art for highly qualified students. This program is described in detail in the section devoted to the Art Department.

The Bachelor of Music (BMus) is a program designed for students who intend to perform professionally or to teach the performance of music. This program is described in detail in the section devoted to the Music Department.

The Bachelors/Masters programs are designed for highly qualified students in particular areas of study; they enable full-time students to complete both the bachelor’s and master’s degrees in 4-5 years. Students in combined programs will pay undergraduate tuition rates up to the number of credits required to earn a baccalaureate degree in their major [generally 120 credits]. Any credits taken toward the combined degree after the credits required to earn their bachelor’s degree are charged at the graduate tuition rate. Some programs offer teacher certification at the master’s level. Fifteen programs are available. See below for a list of programs.

The CUNY (City University of New York) Baccalaureate degree is a university-wide program. This degree, awarded by CUNY rather than by a specific undergraduate CUNY college, may be a BS or BA degree and is intended for students who have well formulated individual academic and career goals. Students who are accepted work out their programs with a faculty committee of their choice that is willing to support the student’s plan of study. Students pursue their studies at one or more colleges in CUNY, according to their interests. Students must complete at least 15 but not more than 90 credits to be considered for admission to this program. Further information can be obtained from the CUNY/BA adviser in the Office of Student Services.

Policy on Remediation

Beginning January 2000, students enrolling at Hunter College must prove their proficiency in reading, writing and mathematics through SAT scores, Regents scores or assessment tests prior to registration. Remedial courses are no longer offered by the college. ESL and non-proficient SEEK students are exempt from this policy, but must adhere to the following guidelines (see the Admissions  section of this catalog for information about ESL and SEEK designations): SEEK students must enroll in the appropriate basic skills workshop(s) prior to enrolling in their first semester at Hunter. SEEK students who do not gain proficiency in the pre-first semester workshops must take additional basic skills workshops during the semester. SEEK students must demonstrate proficiency within one year of enrollment at Hunter. SEEK students needing basic skills coursework must consult with the director of the SEEK Program for course access and availability. ESL students are placed in an appropriate developmental reading and/or writing course during their first semester and may continue taking developmental courses in their second semester, if needed. ESL students must demonstrate proficiency by the end of their fourth consecutive semester at Hunter. ESL students should see the ESL adviser in the English Department, Room 1212 Hunter West, for details about basic skills proficiency requirements.

College Preparatory Initiative

Students who graduated from high school in spring 1993 or later are required to satisfy a set of prescribed educational competencies known as the College Preparatory Initiative (CPI). Students who do not satisfy the Initiative through coursework taken while in high school take appropriate college-level courses to meet the requirement. See the Admissions  section of this catalog for CPI requirements.

General Education Requirement

Students must fulfill the General Education Requirement, which consists of a Core Requirement made up of three sequential stages of liberal arts courses, as well as three graduation requirements: Writing, Foreign Language and Pluralism and Diversity. See section on General Education Requirement below.

Note: Returning students must see an adviser to determine the requirements they must meet.

Major Field of Study

Students must choose a major field of study for a Bachelor’s degree at Hunter College (a major for a BA usually consists of 24 to 30 credits, a major for a BS is approximately 60 credits). See Major Field of Study below.

Elective Courses

Elective courses are courses chosen by the student, provided the prerequisites are met, to complete the total credits required for the degree. See Elective (or Optional) Credits below.

The General Education Requirement


All undergraduate students who matriculated at Hunter College in fall 2001 and later must fulfill the General Education Requirement (GER), a set of competencies, knowledge areas and perspectives that Hunter College considers essential to the intellectual development of its undergraduates. Students are strongly urged to complete most of the GER before going into their major and minor. Without the necessary background found in the GER, you may find yourself at a disadvantage in your major courses. However, students in highly structured programs, such as the sciences, mathematics, foreign languages and BFA, BMus and BS degree should begin their major and minor courses and their Core requirements concurrently.

The General Education Requirement is composed of the Core Requirement, consisting of designated courses at various academic levels and three graduation requirements: the Writing Requirement, the Foreign Language Requirement and the Pluralism and Diversity Requirement. Transfer students who have earned an AA/AS degree from a CUNY college and who matriculated in fall 2003 and after are exempt from the Core requirements of the GER, but must fulfill the three graduation requirements of Writing, Pluralism and Diversity and Foreign Language. Transfer students who have earned an AA/AS degree from a CUNY college and who matriculated between fall 2001 and summer 2003 are exempt from the Core Requirement and the Writing Requirement. Evaluated transfer credits sometimes can be used to fulfill the GER requirements. All transfer students should carefully check their evaluated courses against the GER. Students transferring from a CUNY school without an AA or AS degree should seek an adviser to help determine which courses they may use to satisfy Core requirements. For overlaps and restrictions on these different requirements and their relation to major and minor requirements, see the section below on Regulations for Core Requirement.


The Core Requirement, composed of designated courses, is divided into three sequential Stages: 1-Academic Foundations; 2-Broad Exposure; and 3-Focused Exposure.

Stage 1 – Academic Foundations (Students should complete this stage within their first 30 credits.) The Academic Foundations Stage includes courses in mathematics, composition and history that provide students with the analytic, interpretive, communication and historical competencies and perspectives critical to academic success.

Stage 2 – Broad Exposure (Students should complete this stage within their first 45 credits.) The Broad Exposure Stage continues with courses in the social sciences, humanities, arts and natural sciences to introduce students to a broad range of disciplinary perspectives and areas of knowledge.

Stage 3 – Focused Exposure (Students should complete this stage within their first 60 credits.) This Stage requires students to select advanced courses outside their major (students with more than one major should see the Regulations for Core Requirement, below).

The Focused Exposure Stage includes courses in areas that the student has selected to study in greater depth, in the expectation that more advanced students should do more analysis and research.

Graduation Requirements:

Comprise the Writing Requirement, the Foreign Language Requirement and the Pluralism and Diversity Requirement.

  1. Writing Requirement The Writing Requirement ensures that all students have significant writing experiences. It is recommended that students fulfill the Writing Requirement early in their academic career in order to prepare effectively for advanced coursework. Courses that can be taken to fulfill the Writing Requirement carry the designation “W” in this catalog. The maximum number of writing intensive, W-designated courses a student must take is 3 (see the section below on Writing Requirement). All W courses must be taken at Hunter. The W-designated courses (or specific sections thereof) are indicated in the Schedule of Classes each semester.

    Note: Not all sections of a course are necessarily offered with significant writing. To satisfy the Writing Requirement a section designated as W in the “Schedule of Classes” must be taken.

  2. Foreign Language Requirement The goal of this requirement is to provide facility in a language other than English and to enable students to access non-English literatures. In learning a foreign language and studying its literature and cultures, students acquire new perspectives on how people think, view the world, express themselves and communicate with one another. Language learning expands one’s ability to create and discover new meaning in one’s own language and culture. An awareness of contrasting cultural concepts sensitizes students to the differences between their own culture and others — increasingly important, as the communities of the world have become so interconnected and interdependent. This is a graduation requirement. The requirement of four semesters of language courses or an equivalent combination of college and high school courses is fulfilled only if all four semesters are completed in the same language.

    All BA, BFA and BMus students must fulfill a graduation requirement of intermediate (fourth semester) foreign  language proficiency. It is recommended that students begin the first two semesters of foreign language proficiency within their first 30 credits at Hunter. Although intermediate foreign language proficiency is required only by the time a student graduates, gaps in language instruction are very undesirable and it is strongly recommended that students complete all their foreign language requirements in consecutive semesters. Students in BS programs should check the requirements for their specific program. Students who change from a BS to a BA program must meet the foreign language requirement for the BA degree.
  3. Pluralism and Diversity Requirement This requirement is composed of designated courses in four groups (A, B, C, D). A course can satisfy only one of these four groups, though it may also satisfy a requirement in the Core and in the minor and major.

The General Education Requirement is composed of a Core Requirement and Graduation Requirements in: Writing, Foreign Language, and Pluralism & Diversity. Any number of courses from a major or minor may be used to satisfy the Pluralism and Diversity Requirement and the Writing Requirement.

Note: The list of courses satisfying the requirements is often updated. For the most recent list, please check the Registrar’s Web site at: http://registrar.hunter.cuny.edu

Regulations for Core Requirement:

  1. A course may be used to satisfy only one Core Requirement.
  2. No more than two courses per department or program may be applied to satisfy Core requirements. Exceptions to this are courses in Stage 1: Academic Foundations.*
  3. All courses satisfying Core, Stage 2 Groups A through D must be from different departments or programs.*
  4. Students may apply up to two courses from their major to satisfy Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the Core; only one of these is permitted to fulfill a Stage 1 requirement, and only one a Stage 2 requirement.

    Note: Students who have declared two or more majors can use up to two courses from one of those majors to satisfy Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the Core. Only one of these is permitted to fulfill a Stage 1 requirement, and only one a Stage 2 requirement. Courses from minors and any additional majors can be used without limit to satisfy Stages 1, 2, and 3 of the Core.

  5. *All CUNY Macaulay Honors College (MHC) courses designated for the Core Requirement may be applied toward the Core Requirement.

Core Requirement

Stage 1: Academic Foundations

List of Approved Courses for GER Core Stage 1: Academic Foundations 

This Stage involves basic academic skills needed for success in the liberal arts and sciences. Accordingly students should complete this Stage as early as possible, preferably within their first 30 credits at Hunter. Exemption may be granted on the basis of placement exams or other criteria as determined by the Hunter College Senate. Such exemptions do not yield credit unless they are based on the successful completion of college courses.

Group Credits Description
A 3

English Composition
This requirement introduces expository writing and academic discourse. Through reading, writing, and rewriting, students learn to generate, explore, and refine their own ideas, analyze and evaluate  intellectual arguments, take positions and support them persuasively, and write with sound grammar, varied sentence structure, logic, and coherence.

B 3 Quantitative Reasoning
The goal of this requirement is to develop competence in mathematical and quantitative reasoning, including the use of numerical and graphical data in making judgments on personal, professional,  and public issues. Students who place out of MATH 125 are exempt from this requirement.
C 3 US History
This requirement introduces portions of the history of the United States covering periods of time sufficiently long to reveal the historical dynamic and bring understanding of the historical contexts that have created our social and political institutions. It emphasizes the importance of the historical perspective and method, an understanding of how, where, and why change has occurred over time, and an awareness that the world we live in has been influenced by the past.
HIST 151W, 152W, PLSC 110W

Stage 2: Broad Exposure

List of Approved Courses for GER Core Stage 2: Broad Exposure 

These courses should be completed within a student’s first three semesters (full-time) or 45 credits (part-time) at Hunter.

Group Credits Description
A 3

Survey of Literature Written in English
This requirement is meant to increase students’ understanding and appreciation of literature written in English. Courses emphasize close readings of representative texts chosen to familiarize student  with various authors, periods, and genres - fiction, drama, and poetry - and to provide a firm foundation for further literary study. Written assignments include quizzes, papers, and a midterm and final exam.

B 6 Social Science: People and their Societies
The goal of this requirement is to introduce students to the understanding of individual and collective human behavior.
Students should be aware of the geographic, political, social, economic, historical, and psychological effects on the human environment. By studying human relations and the human experience students should learn the methodologies as well as the nature, scope, and limits of specific disciplines in the social sciences.
C 3 Humanities: Cultures and Ideas: Literature, Philosophy, Classics
This requirement is meant to introduce students to the human intellectual heritage, the wisdom, and the vision expected of well-educated members of the global human community. The study of texts, thoughts, cultures, and human values should nourish the mind and the spirit, inspiring an enduring love of learning. The humanities are strongly linked to other fields of higher education and are vital to the health of society.
D 3 Visual and Performing Arts: Media, Art, Dance, Film, Music, Theater
This requirement is meant to introduce students to significant works of the creative imagination, familiarize them with a medium of creative expression, and enable them to actively participate in individual aesthetic and creative experiences. Through critical analysis, research, and direct involvement in creative work in a particular medium, students should develop an appreciation of the interrelations of intellectual and emotional responses to the arts and letters.
E 7 Natural Science: Two courses are required, one of which must include a laboratory component. These may be in the same discipline.
The goal of this requirement is to introduce students to the concepts and ways of thinking of the natural sciences. The sciences have intrinsic intellectual value, pursuing basic questions about the workings of the universe and the world around us. Students should be conversant with the rapid pace of scientific advances and able to make informed decisions about scientific matters in the public domain.

Stage 3: Focused Exposure

List of Approved Courses for GER Core Stage 3: Focused Exposure 

These courses are intended to give students the opportunity to study selected subjects outside their major department or program in greater depth than in Stage 2. Usually, these courses will be beyond the 100 level. Accordingly, it is strongly recommended that students take a first course in the same discipline. A student must take one course from Group A and one course from Group B in Stage 3.

Group Credits Description
A 3 Humanities or Visual and Performing Arts One course beyond the introductory level is required, chosen from humanities or the visual or performing arts.
B 3 Social Sciences or Natural Sciences/Mathematics One course beyond the introductory level is required, chosen from social sciences or natural sciences/mathematics.

Graduation Requirements

Writing Requirement

List of Approved Courses for the GER Writing Requirement 

Students matriculating with fewer than 31 credits must take three courses in significant writing — “W” designated courses — at Hunter College. Transfer students matriculating with 31 to 59 credits must take at least two “W” designated courses at Hunter College. Transfer students matriculating with 60 to 90 credits must take at least one “W” designated course at Hunter College. (ENGL 120 does not count as “W” designated course.)

Note: Specific sections of courses containing significant writing are listed with a W designation in the Schedule of Classes. Please note that not all sections of a course are necessarily offered with significant writing. To satisfy the Writing Requirement a section designated as W must be taken.

Foreign Language Requirement

List of Courses for the GER Foreign Language Requirement 

Hunter College currently offers the following programs to meet the foreign language requirement:

Chinese (CHIN), French (FREN), German (GRMN), Greek (GRK), Hebrew (HEBR), Italian (ITAL), Japanese (JPN), Latin (LAT), Polish (POL), Russian (RUSS), Spanish (SPAN), Swahili (SWA), Ukrainian (UKR), Yoruba (YOR).

Course of Study:

All students must demonstrate foreign language proficiency at the 12-credit level or its equivalent. In each language a required course sequence (12 credits) is offered: Elementary I and II (2 three-credit courses or 1 six-credit intensive course) and Intermediate I and II (2 three-credit courses or 1 six-credit intensive course). The Elementary three-credit courses are usually numbered 101 and 102 and the Intermediate three-credit courses are usually 201 and 202 (except that the Spanish for Native Speakers sequence is SPAN 105, 106, 207, and 208; intermediate Greek is GRK 110 and GRK 202 or 203; intermediate Latin is LAT 110 and LAT 201, 202, 203, or 204). The intensive six-credit courses are usually numbered 103 and 203 (except for: CHIN 107 and 207; GRK 107; and LAT 107). Intensive courses are not offered in all languages. The first semester of a four-course sequence will not be credited without successful completion of the second semester.

Exemption: Students may be exempted from part or all of the foreign language requirement by virtue of:

  1. Successful completion of high school courses. Each year of language study completed in high school is equivalent to one semester (3 cr) of the same language in college. The requirement of 4 semesters of language courses or an equivalent combination of college and high school courses is fulfilled only if all 4 semesters are completed in the same language. Students who have completed 4 years of one foreign language in high school should apply for an exemption with the Coordinator of Academic Appeals; an official high school transcript is required. Students who have passed a language Advanced Placement Test of the College Board with a grade of 5, 4, or 3 should contact the Office of Admissions.
  2. Passing at least one advanced college foreign language or literature course that has a 4th semester level prerequisite in that language.
  3. Competency demonstrated through proficiency examinations. To arrange for an examination contact the appropriate department office; if the language in question is not taught at Hunter College contact the dean of the School of Arts & Sciences.
  4. Presentation of foreign secondary school documentation. Students who have graduated from a high school outside the United States in which the language of instruction was other than English may be exempted from the foreign language requirement upon presentation of a high school or secondary (equivalent) transcript.
  5. Presentation of foreign university documentation. Students who present appropriate evidence that they have completed one or more semesters of full-time study at a college or university outside of the United States in which the language of instruction was other than English may be exempted from the foreign language requirement. Native speakers of English who participated in a study-abroad program or a program specifically designed for foreigners may be exempted from the foreign language requirement if they provide sufficient evidence of their proficiency in the foreign language.


Note: an exemption from a language requirement does not yield any credit unless the exemption is based on successful completion of college courses.

Placement: Students may begin a foreign language at Hunter College. Students who are not exempt from the foreign language requirement as described above should choose their language course as follows:

  1. Students who have satisfactorily completed 3 years of study of one language in high school or have completed the college equivalent of the 3rd level in a foreign language sequence should take the 4th course in the required sequence.
  2. Students who have satisfactorily completed 2 years of study of one language in high school or have completed the college equivalent of the second level in a foreign language sequence should take the 3rd and 4th courses in the required sequence.
  3. Students who have satisfactorily completed 1 year of study of a language in high school or have completed the college equivalent of the 1st level in a foreign language sequence should take the 2nd, 3rd and 4th courses in the required sequence.
  4. Students who are beginning the study of a foreign language should take all 12 credits of a course sequence.

Pluralism And Diversity Requirement

List of Approved Courses for the GER Pluralism and Diversity Requirement 

The growing interdependence of the world’s political, economic, and cultural relations, along with the increasingly diverse character of the American citizenry in general and the students of Hunter College in particular, make it imperative that Hunter undergraduates be exposed to a wide range of intellectual traditions, perspectives, and concerns arising from all corners of the globe. The emergence of sizable bodies of scholarship in recent decades reflecting that intellectual array makes it important for Hunter to present them as an integral part of the education of its undergraduates.

Accordingly, all students, including transfer students, who entered Hunter College in the fall 1993 semester or later are required to complete 12 credits in designated courses that address issues of pluralism and diversity before graduating from Hunter College. Students choose three credits from each of the four groups below. Work done at other colleges may be counted towards the pluralism and diversity requirement. When a student is given course equivalence for a course that counts towards pluralism and diversity, that student will also be deemed to have met the corresponding pluralism and diversity requirement except that  or, BIOL 100/102 and BIOL 100/160, students must see the department to receive pluralism and diversity credit. All courses used to satisfy Pluralism and Diversity requirements may simultaneously meet a student’s Core Requirement or the courses necessary for a major or minor area of study.

Note: While some courses may be listed in more than one group of the requirement, students will be able to apply such course to only one of the four areas.

Group Credits Group or Societal Focus
A 3 A course focusing on scholarship about major practical or theoretical issues (e.g., artistic, economic, geographic, literary, political, scientific, or social) that emerge from, are reflected in, or are principally derived from the historical conditions, perspectives, and/or intellectual traditions of non-European societies, particularly those of Africa, Asia, Latin America, or those indigenous to the Americas.
B 3 A course focusing on scholarship about major practical or theoretical issues (e.g., artistic, economic, geographic, literary, political, scientific, or social) that emerge from, are reflected in, or are principally derived from the historical conditions, perspectives, immigrant experiences, and/or intellectual traditions of one or more of the following groups in the United States of America: African Americans, Asian Americans, Latino Americans, and Native Americans.
C 3 A course focusing on scholarship about major practical or theoretical issues (e.g., artistic, economic, geographic, literary, political, scientific, or social) that emerge from, are reflected in, or are principally derived from the historical conditions, perspectives, and/or intellectual traditions of women and/or issues of gender or sexual orientation.
D 3 A course focusing on scholarship about major practical or theoretical issues (e.g., artistic, economic, geographic, literary, political, scientific, or social) that emerge from, are reflected in, or are principally derived from the historical conditions, perspectives, and/or intellectual traditions of Europe, including the ways in which pluralism and diversity have been addressed.

* Groups designated by letters A, B, C, and D substitute for Groups originally called 1, 2, 3, and 4, respectively.

Note: SOC 101 has been withdrawn from Group A. This change has gone into effect for all students entering Hunter in fall 2001.

Major Field of Study (Major and Minor)


The total number of credits for the Bachelor’s degree is 120. In order to earn a Bachelor’s degree at Hunter College, a student must fulfill not only General Education Requirements (GER) but also must select a major field of study (major). A major is a concentration of courses in a particularsubject area. A major for a BA usually consists of 24 to 30 credits, a major for a BS is approximately 60 credits. 

All majors offered by Hunter College have been authorized by the New York State Education Department. See Degree and Certificate Programs above.

Requirements for a Major

All matriculated students must declare a major no later than the semester in which the combination of credits earned and credits for which they are currently registered totals 60 or greater. Transfer students entering with 60 credits or more must declare their major before the end of their first semester of attendance at Hunter. Students may find that some courses and career opportunities are available to them only if they have declared a major. In addition, under New York State guidelines, students who have not yet declared a major by the 60-credit point, or changed their major/program, by the end of the drop/add period of the semester are ineligible for TAP financial aid. To declare or change a major, a student should get a major declaration form from the OASIS, Room 217 Hunter North and confer with an adviser in the major department. 

For students who are nearing the 60-credit point and remain undecided about their choice of major, there are a number of avenues of assistance. Designated faculty in each academic department advise prospective majors about the undergraduate programs and related career possibilities. Also, the counselors in the Office of Student Services and Career Development Services offer assistance in choosing a major. The college is concerned that students select their major with careful consideration and with good knowledge of the range of options. 

To earn a Hunter degree, students must complete at least half of their major credits at Hunter.  

Double Major 

It is possible to have a double major in the BA degree. The student must complete all of the General Education Requirement, satisfy the sequence of study for both majors and file a major declaration form for each approved major. The double major must consist of courses taken in liberal arts departments or programs.

The Minor

A minor is a secondary concentration usually related to the student’s educational or career goals. A minor program consists of a set of courses that are defined as a minor by an academic department or program. A minor encompasses at least 12 and at most 18 credits. Fulfilling the requirements for a minor is an option for students who want to document abilities in an academic field in addition to their major. It is left to the decision of individual departments or programs whether they offer a set of courses leading to a minor. Interdisciplinary minors may be established between two or more departments. 

A student has the option of declaring up to two minors. 

To declare or change a minor, a student should get a minorform from the OASIS, Room 217 Hunter North, and confer with an adviser in the minor department. 

In order to graduate with a minor in a specific field, a student must maintain a grade point average of at least 2.0 in the courses taken in that field. 

Minors require that at least one half of the credits be taken at Hunter College; there may be exceptions to this within specific departments; please refer to departmental guidelines. 

Courses from the minor can be used without limit to satisfy Stages 1, 2 and 3 of the Core, the Writing requirement and the Pluralism & Diversity Requirement. Although this does not lessen the number of credits required for the degree, it frees those credits to be used in an elective area. 

Adolescent Education

Students who want to become teachers in secondary schools must complete the adolescent education sequence of 23 credits and may also have to take some liberal arts courses beyond those required for the General Education Requirement. In order to be admitted to this program, students must apply to the School of Education. See the School of Education section for the admission process.  The adolescent education program leads to initial NYS certification.

The Major and the GER

Students may apply up to two courses from their major to satisfy Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the Core; only one of these is permitted to fulfill a Stage 1 requirement and only one a Stage 2 requirement. 

Note: Students who have declared two or more majors can use up to two courses from one of those majors to satisfy Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the Core. Only one of these is permitted to fulfill a Stage 1 requirement and only one a Stage 2 requirement. Courses from the minors and any additional majors can be used without limit to satisfy Stages 1, 2 and 3 of the Core, the Writing Requirement and the Pluralism & Diversity Requirement.

Departmental Majors 

BA Degree These are majors concentrated within one department. The major for a BA usually consists of 24 to 30 credits. In order to graduate, a student must have a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the courses designated for the major. Major departments may have higher requirements. Each student should consult the major department for details and also check the department’s description of the major in the catalog.

The following are departments and/or programs that offer majors leading to the BA degree.

Africana and Puerto Rican/Latino Studies History
Anthropology Italian
Art Latin
Biology Mathematics
Chemistry Music
Chinese Philosophy
Classical Studies Physics and Astronomy
Computer Science Political Science
Dance Psychology
Economics Romance Languages
Film and Media Studies Russian
French Sociology
Geography Spanish
German Statistics
Greek Theatre

Interdepartmental Majors

BA Degree The following programs leading to the BA degree involve courses in more than one department. For details and names of advisers, see the listing in the departmental section of this catalog. In addition to the interdepartmental fields of study, the college also offers individual interdisciplinary courses in the humanities, social sciences, sciences and mathematics and health sciences.

Archaeology Latin American and Caribbean Studies
Comparative Literature Religion
English Language Arts Urban Studies
Jewish Social Studies Women and Gender Studies

Fields of Specialization or Professional Studies

BS, BFA and BMus Degrees These programs, each requiring approximately 60 credits in the area of specialization, lead to the BS, BFA or BMus degree. No minor is required for these programs. The following programs are available. For details and names of advisers, see the listing in the departmental section of this catalog.

Accounting BS (Economics Department) Studio Art BFA
Community Health Education BS Music BMus
Medical Laboratory Sciences BS Nursing BS
  Nutrition and Food Science BS

Accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s Degrees

These programs enable highly qualified students to earn the bachelor’s and master’s degrees in a shorter period of time than is required for taking the degrees separately. The following programs are available. 

Anthropology (BA/MA) Mathematics Teaching 7-12 (BA/MA)
Biological Sciences/Environmental and Medical Laboratory Sciences/Biological
Occupational Health Science (BA/MS) Sciences with Specialization in
Biological Sciences with specialization in Biotechnology (BS/MA)
Biotechnology (BA/MA) Music (BA/MA)
Chemistry Teaching 7-12 (BA/MA) Music Pre-K-12 (BA/MA)
Economics (BA/MA) Physics (BA/MA)
English (BA/MA) Sociology/Social Research (BA/MS)
Mathematics (BA/MA) Statistics/Statistics and Applied
Mathematics/Statistics and Applied Mathematics (BA/MA)
Mathematics (BA/MA)  

Departmental Advising

Each department has advisers to help students with such matters as course content, when a course is expected to be given, how a course is conducted (lecture, discussion) and the textbook(s) to be used. Students may want to discuss majoring in a subject before they make their official decision or to inquire about graduate schools. Majors should see the department advisers frequently to discuss their interests.

Elective (or Optional) Credits

These are credits needed to complete the degree beyond those taken to fulfill the General Education Requirement and the major and minor. Students may choose as electives any courses for which they have the necessary prerequisites. They may take more courses in their major or minor, study another foreign language they will need for graduate work or explore new horizons. The choice is the student’s. No course may be repeated unless it is so stated in the course description in the catalog.

Undergraduates Taking Graduate Courses

Upon the recommendation of the student’s undergraduate major or program adviser and with the approval of the adviser of the graduate program offering the course, highly qualified undergraduate degree students may take graduate courses for credit toward the bachelor’s degree. Both the undergraduate and graduate degree adviser must sign the approval form, which may be obtained by the student at the OASIS. If it is determined that the courses were not used for the bachelor’s degree and the graduate transfer is acceptable, then the student will be charged the difference between the undergraduate and graduate tuition rates at the time the student took the course. No course may be applied to both the undergraduate degree and the graduate degree.

Special Academic Programs

Hunter College offers many special programs to enhance the academic experience for students. These programs help first-year students make a successful transition to college, enrich the coursework of high-achieving students and prepare upper-division students for admission to professional schools and careers in specialized fields. Some programs also provide the opportunity at other educational institutions in the U.S. and abroad.

Honors Programs

Hunter College provides a range of honors programs for students with strong academic records and the desire for stimulating courses and a host of special opportunities.

Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College Graduating high school seniors and others who have not yet attended college may apply to the Macaulay Honors College at Hunter College. Students accepted to this highly competitive program take a series of small, interdisciplinary seminars, work closely with Macaulay Honors College advisers, and receive free tuition, a laptop computer, funds to study abroad or pursue unpaid internships, and a Cultural Passport providing entry to museums and cultural events in New York. For further information, call the Macaulay Honors College office at (212) 650-3556 or “See the website:  http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/honorscollege.

Thomas Hunter Honors Program (Special Honors Curriculum) This program provides superior students who are pursuing a Hunter BA degree with a course of study suited to their individual needs and interests. Open to students who have demonstrated academic excellence and an interest in interdisciplinary studies and who desire to be intellectually challenged, it permits them to replace some of the College’s GER  requirements with a special curriculum under the supervision of the Council on Honors. The Program also offers its participants the chance to study with faculty members committed to working with outstanding undergraduates who wish to pursue interdisciplinary studies. For details, see the Thomas Hunter Honors Program  description in the Arts and Sciences section of the catalog.

Specialized Honors Programs in the Upper Division Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC) Program The Hunter College MARC Program is a scholarship program funded through the National Institute of General Medical Sciences to increase participation of minorities underrepresented in the sciences. The program focuses on preparing undergraduates for entry and success in Ph.D. programs and subsequent research careers. The program sponsors research internships in one of Hunter’s research laboratories and opportunities for students to travel and present at national scientific meetings. The program provides a monthly stipend of approximately $1,000 and pays full tuition and health insurance premium costs. African-American, Hispanic, Native American (American Indian, Eskimo) and Pacific Islanders are particularly encouraged to apply. Members of other ethnic groups underrepresented in the sciences are also encouraged to apply. Other requirements include citizenship or permanent residency, 60 or more completed credits, grade point average of 3.0 or higher, a declared major in the sciences, computer science or math, an expressed interest in a biomedical research career and a commitment of at least one year.

RISE Program – The Minority Biomedical Research Support Program (MBRS) from the National Institutes of Health’s Division of General Medicine provides an opportunity for qualified minority students at Hunter College, from sophomore through PhD students, to gain experience in a research laboratory and receive mentoring.  Salary for part-time research ranges as follows: doctoral students receive $24,000 per year, masters’ candidates receive $15,000 and undergraduates receive $10,800 per year. Graduate students receive a full tuition scholarship and undergraduates receive a full tuition waiver. The goal of the RISE Program is to increase the number of underrepresented minority students who obtain PhD s in the Biomedical sciences. Hunter College faculty members from the departments of biological sciences, chemistry, physics and psychology serve as mentors, and the program provides professional  development expertise, research money, and enables students to attend a national scientific meeting for students (undergraduate) or a national research meeting (graduate students). Applications for RISE are available in Room 314 Hunter North or contact the MBRS Office at (212) 772-5431.

Hunter/HHMI (Howard Hughes Medical Institute) offers six economically disadvantaged undergraduate biology majors the opportunity to work in a faculty members research lab at Hunter College as Hunter/HHMI Undergraduate Scholars. The Scholars program is a two year commitment for undergraduates in excellent academic standing. Scholars work a minimum of twenty hours/week in the lab and receive a monthly stipend.

Hunter/HHMI offers two summer research internships for undergraduate biology majors. Four biology majors are selected during their sophomore year to spend ten weeks at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, MA. One biology major is selected during her/his junior year to spend ten weeks at the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory on Long Island.

For more information please contact Dan Kleinman at kleinman@genectr.hunter.cuny.edu and/or visit http://www.hunterhhmi.com

Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
The Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program (McNair Scholars Program), funded by the U.S. Department of Education, provides eligible Hunter College students with various opportunities designed to prepare selected participants for graduate study leading to doctoral degrees.   The program is open to lower juniors with a cumulative Hunter College grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or higher. Those students selected for the program will have approximately two years remaining until graduation. Students engage in research, seminars, and other scholarly and educational activities. Services to students include graduate application assistance, faculty mentoring, academic counseling, college visits, and exposure to cultural events.   Eligible students, as defined by federal regulations, must be either be a) low income and first-generation college attendees or b) from underrepresented groups (Black [non-Hispanic], Hispanic, American Indian, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiians, Native American Pacific Islanders). Program participants are required to be citizens, nationals, or permanent residents of the United States. Those students selected for the program will have approximately two years remaining until graduation. Please contact the program office at mcnairprogram@hunter.cuny.edu for additional information.

Mellon-Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program (MMUF) The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation established the MMUF Program with the original purpose of rectifying the under representation of Black, Latino and Native American faculty within America’s colleges and universities. The program has since evolved to include students of other ancestries who demonstrate a strong commitment to racial equality.

In cooperation with faculty members, MMUF at Hunter identifies and selects academically talented students from these backgrounds. During their undergraduate careers, MMUF Fellows are provided with a distinct and carefully guided college experience, both inside and outside the classroom. This includes: one-on-one mentoring with a Hunter faculty member; collaborating with a mentor on research projects, teaching and curriculum development; attending professional conferences; and opportunities to study or conduct research at other universities in the United States and abroad.

Students must be nominated by a Hunter faculty member and have the following qualifications: upper sophomore to lower senior status; a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better; a strong interest in pursuing a doctoral degree within specified fields of study; and a demonstrated commitment to increasing minority faculty representation in higher education. Once selected as a nominee, students will have to meet additional entrance requirements. Students who enter the program must maintain matriculated status and an overall GPA of 3.5 or better. Fellows receive an annual stipend, a tuition waiver and are eligible for loan repayments. For further information, contact the MMUF office, Room 1512 Hunter North, (212) 650-3142.

The Block Program First-year students entering in the fall semester have the opportunity to begin their college careers by enrolling in a specially designed block of courses. Freshman Blocks are clusters of introductory-level courses designed to help students explore possible areas of interest within a community of 22 students.   Each block section or course cluster has a general theme, and each course within the block section satisfies one or more college requirements. Since each course cluster provides a solid foundation for any major at the college, participation in any of the blocks does not limit a student’s future area of study. For more information on the Block Program, visit http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/studentservices/fao/blockprogram

Pre-Health Professions Students preparing for a career in medicine or other health professions (osteopathy, dentistry, optometry, podiatry, pharmacy, physical therapy, physician assistant programs and veterinary medicine) may major or minor in any area (Biology, English, Urban Affairs, etc) and should consult the premedical advisor about their curriculum as soon as possible. It is important that students maintain a close relationship with the premedical advising office from the time they become interested in such a career. Admission to professional schools is highly competitive so exceptional academic preparation is key, as is strong experience in leadership, research and community service. There are several premedical clubs on campus and students are encouraged to join one as soon as they enter Hunter.

In addition to our undergraduate program, the college offers a Certificate in Health Careers Preparation for students who already have a bachelor’s degree (in any field) and wish to prepare for admission to a health professions school on a full-time or part-time basis. Post-Baccalaureate students who have little or no science background are welcome as well as those who need to enhance their credentials.

 The Pre-Health Professions Advising offices are located on the 8th floor of the East building and advisors can best be reached by e-mailing Kelly Gentry at kgentry@hunter.cuny.edu or Dr. Karen Phillips at kphil@hunter.cuny.edu. All Students are encouraged to review the invaluable information on the pre-health website at www.hunter.cuny.edu/pre-health and to join the pre-health listserv. Come in during Walk-in advising hours (see the pre-health website for hours) to meet with an adviser.

 Prelaw There are no specific courses or a specific major required for entry to law school. Students applying to law school come from a variety of majors including those in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences. Legal educators agree that a broad and rigorous liberal arts education is the best preparation for admission to and success in law school. Students planning to attend law school should take courses that develop writing skills and the ability to think critically and creatively; they should discuss with the Pre-Law Advisor and with academic advisers which courses will best advance their educational and career goals. There are some areas of legal practice for which a specific undergraduate major or coursework in a particular area is required or helpful. In order to be admitted to the Patent Bar, for example, an undergraduate degree or other training in science, computer science or engineering is required. More information regarding course selection is available at Hunter’s Pre-Law Website:   http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/prelaw/preparing-for-law-school/course-selection.  Students interested in law are encouraged to meet with the Pre-Law Advisor as early as possible to learn about opportunities to explore legal careers and to discuss preparation for applying to law school.   To schedule an appointment with the Pre-Law Advisory Office, please phone (212) 772-4882.  For quick questions, contact Hunter’s Pre-Law Advisor, Elise Jaffe, at prelaw@hunter.cuny.edu.  To keep up with Pre-Law events and opportunities on campus, students are also encouraged to subscribe to the Pre-Law Listserv by following the instructions that appear on the homepage of the Pre-Law Website.  

Pre-engineering The pre-engineering program is organized for students who plan to transfer to an engineering school of another college after two years at Hunter. The courses for pre-engineering outlined in the Physics Department section of this catalog satisfy requirements for the first two years of the City College engineering degree. Students planning to go to an engineering school should contact the Physics Department to work out a program suitable to their needs.

Preparation for Social Work A major in one of the social or behavioral sciences is preferred for students planning to enter the field of social work. Specific entrance requirements vary for the different graduate schools of social work. Most schools recommend a minimum of 24 credits in the social sciences. A major in sociology or psychology is desirable for those interested in casework or group work; a major in sociology, political science, economics or urban affairs is desirable for those interested in community organization. In addition, field placement courses that provide internships in social work agencies are highly recommended. Students planning to go to a graduate school of social work are encouraged to speak with an adviser in the Office of Student Services.

Teacher Education The Hunter College School of Education (HCSOE) offers 55 teacher and allied professional certifications at undergraduate and graduate levels. At the undergraduate level, students are prepared for careers in elementary and secondary education. Most teacher preparation programs have received national recognition. All teacher education programs meet certification and licensing requirements for New York City. For details, see the School of Education  section of this catalog.

Public Service Scholars The Public Service Scholar Program seeks to improve our cities and the lives of people by preparing talented students particularly women, minorities and immigrants for public service careers through internships with elected officials, government, and nonprofit organizations. The program runs for a full academic year and combines internship placements in the offices of senior officials and administrators with intensive seminars on public policy issues, social change, government and nonprofit organizations. The program is open to any Hunter College student, regardless of major, who has a minimum 3.0 GPA and who is within 45 credits of graduation at the beginning of the program in the fall semester. Admission of up to 24 students is competitive. Applications are accepted starting in November with a deadline of March 7th. Students accepted as Public Service Scholars receive 12 academic credits and a generous stipend. Because women, minorities and immigrants have been traditionally underrepresented in public policy making and leadership positions, special efforts are taken to encourage them to apply for the program. Interested students should contact the Public Service Scholar Program, Room 1643 Hunter West, (212) 772-5599 or email ewalsh@hunter.cuny.edu.

Seminar/Internship Program in New York City Government/Politics This university-wide program bridges the gap between academic study and the practical world of New York politics. Students are advised to have taken prior coursework in American politics and to have at least a 3.0 GPA prior to being admitted to the program. For details, see the description in the Political Science  section of the catalog.

Opportunities for Air Force ROTC Instruction Air Force ROTC (AFROTC) is a college class that teaches students about the Air Force and its way of life. AFROTC for Hunter College students, AFROTC Detachment 560, is located on Manhattan College’s campus in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. Any freshman and sophomore student may enroll into AFROTC. However only qualified students will be provided with uniforms and be eligible for scholarships and/or a subsistence allowance. Hunter College will grant elective credit, when applicable, toward graduation for the successful completion of courses offered by the Department of Aerospace Studies at Manhattan College. For further information, please call AFROTC Det 560 at (718) 862-7201 or email afrotc@manhattan.edu.

Education Abroad Programs

Opportunities exist for study abroad in summer, winter intersession and during the academic year. There are a variety of countries, subject matters and languages to choose from. Current summer offerings include programs in: Germany, Ireland, Italy, Peru and Spain. Winter intersession typically offers programs in Argentina, Brazil, Italy and Hawaii. During the academic semester or year, Hunter students can participate in exchanges with Queen Mary College of the University of London as well as with the three main campuses (Melbourne, Geelong and Warnabul) of Deakin University in Australia. Additional information about Hunter programs is available on the Education Abroad website http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/educationabroad.

Besides the programs organized by Hunter College, students can participate in the study abroad programs of other CUNY colleges, as well as CUNY-wide exchanges. More information about these programs can be found at www.cuny.edu/studyabroad.

Hunter students also have the option of participating in programs offered by SUNY colleges. More information is available at www.studyabroad.com/suny.

Finally, Hunter College belongs to the University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC) and all USAC programs are open to Hunter students. For more information go to http://usac.unr.edu/.

Continuing Education

Continuing Education at Hunter College offers non-credit courses for adults in a variety of disciplines. Classes in academic skill development, test preparation (for GED, GRE, GMAT, LSAT), personal finance, nursing, foreign languages, creative writing, social dance, fitness, computers, business and professional development. A variety of Professional Certificate Programs—such as Interpretation/Translation, Legal Studies, Medical Coding and Billing, and Graphic Design—are also offered. Whether students are new to the workforce, looking for a career change or simply looking to learn a new skill, our continuing education programs are designed to enhance professional development and personal enrichment. For more information about the classes offered, call (212) 650-3850 or visit the Continuing Education Web site at http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/continuinged.

The International English Language Institute (IELI) is a noncredit, continuing-education program offering courses in English as a second language to students from all over the world. Students at the IELI actively learn and use new skills to develop their fluency, accuracy and confidence in the English language. Classes for beginner through advanced levels are taught in the morning, afternoon, evening and on weekends. Students may register for full- or part-time programs. Preparation classes for the CUNY Assessment Tests and TOEFL are available to advanced-level students. Students who present proof of successfully completing the most advanced levels of the IELI program are not required to submit TOEFL scores as a part of their admission process to Hunter and other CUNY colleges. For more information call (212) 772-4292 or visit the Continuing Education Web site at http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/ieli.

The English Language Training Institute at Hunter college (ELT Institute) offers a wide variety of courses and services designed to train teachers of English as a second language. Through the use of multimedia, the internet, Hunter’s computer labs and library, and New York City’s cultural resources, instructors are trained to prepare students for their future academic, social and professional lives. For more information about the classes offered, call (212) 650-3850 or visit the continuing Education Web site at http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/eltinstitute.

The Writing Center through Continuing Education at Hunter College offers an exciting cultural showcase of writing workshops, special topic courses, and literary events since joining the CUNY Hunter community in September 2010. With specified classes for each literary genre, students at The Writing Center are educated on the literary field of their choice by successfully published authors from that same genre. In addition to helping students gain knowledge in classes, The Writing Center pushes to educate students outside of the typical classroom environment by offering free literary events throughout the semester where students have the unique opportunity to listen to their favorite authors speak and partake in a question and answer session with the audience.

For more information about the classes offered, call (212) 772-4294 or visit the Writing Center Web site at http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/ce/the-writing-center

Parliamo Italiano: Hunter College has developed a relationship with Parliamo Italiamo, an Italian language school. For more than 30 years, Parliamo Italiamo has offered Italian Language courses using a proven method developed by the founding director, Francis Lally. Parliamo Italiano offers courses for all levels—days, evenings, and Saturdays. For more information about the classes offered, call (212) 774-4793 or visit the web site at http://www.parliamo.com

Policy for Online Courses

Courses taken Online shall be treated the same as other courses, as follows: online courses originating at Hunter College shall require no special permission; online courses originating from another branch of CUNY shall be treated as permit courses; and online courses originating from all other institutions shall be treated as transfer courses. In the case of permit and transfer courses, students are responsible for obtaining any required permission from Hunter College in advance of taking the courses, to ensure the transferability of course credit.

Distance and Hybrid Learning Courses

For the educational enrichment and conveniences of its students, Hunter offers several distance learning courses, some via videoconferencing and others using Internet resources. Videoconferencing enables students in one location to participate fully in a class that takes place at another site, expanding the possibilities for class offerings. Internet courses offer students the flexibility of 24-hour access to course materials, as well as increased opportunities to interact with other students and the professor. Such courses are either totally on the Internet or a hybrid of internet and in-clas activity. Special facilities equipped for distance learning are located at the main campus and at the new Silberman Building.

Academic Honors

Dean’s List At the end of each fall and spring semester the Dean of Students recognizes matriculated students with excellent academic records. The criteria for inclusion on the Dean’s List are: a grade point average of 3.5 or higher with traditional letter grades (A, B or C) in courses other than ESL basic skills courses in reading and writing. If ESL basic skills courses are taken, those grades will be excluded. No grades of D, F, NC, IN or WU are allowed in any course completed or attempted. Full-time students must complete 12 credits or more in one semester; part-time students must complete 6- 11 ½ credits in two consecutive semesters.

Graduation with General College Honors A student who has completed 60 credits of traditional letter grades at Hunter College may be considered for graduation honors. Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.900 or higher will be graduated Summa Cum Laude. Students with a GPA from 3.750 to 3.899 will be graduated Magna Cum Laude. Students with a GPA from 3.500 to 3.749 will be graduated Cum Laude.

Graduation with Departmental Honors On recommendation of any department or interdepartmental field, students with at least 24 credits in the department or field may be graduated “With Honors” in that department or field, provided they graduate in the term for which they file for honors. Of these credits, 21 (or, in exceptional cases, 18) must be taken at Hunter. Students who participate in the Study Abroad Program or the Exchange Program within the United States may be considered for departmental honors even if they have earned fewer than 18 credits at Hunter in courses approved for the major. Students are eligible for departmental honors if their GPA in the major or field is not less than 3.5. The student must also elect at least 2 credits (but no more than 6 credits) in honors courses offered in that department and present to the department’s Committee on Honors a piece of independent work. Honors courses include seminar, laboratory, reading and tutorial courses and independent study projects established for the instruction of honors students.

Honor Societies

Two kinds of honor societies are recognized at Hunter College: academic and professional. In general the requirements for nomination are: for academic societies, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and a departmental GPA prescribed by the department concerned, although in no case less than 3.0; for professional societies, a cumulative GPA of 2.8 and a departmental GPA and professional qualifications that meet departmental requirements. All honor societies except Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi are subject to the rules and regulations established by a committee of the Hunter College Senate. Students may qualify for the following honor societies:

Alpha Kappa Delta - Sociology Omicron Delta Epsilon - Economics
Dobro Slovo - Slavic Language and Literature Phi Alpha Theta - History
Eta Beta Rho - Hebrew Pi Mu Epsilon - Mathematics
Gamma Kappa Alpha - Italian Pi Sigma Alpha - Political Science
Gamma Theta Upsilon - Geography Psi Chi - Psychology
Kappa Delta Pi - Education Sigma Delta Pi - Spanish
Kappa Pi - Art Sigma Epsilon Phi - German
Kappa Omicron Nu - Food Science Sigma Pi Sigma - Physics
   and Human Nutrition Sigma Theta Tau - Nursing

Phi Beta Kappa is the oldest undergraduate honors organization in the United States. Students do not apply for membership; they are elected on the basis of academic excellence. Eligibility is calculated on the basis of liberal arts courses under Phi Beta Kappa rules, which differ from those used in awarding other honors at Hunter College.

Sigma Xi The Scientific Research Society honors those who have made noteworthy contributions in research. Its purpose is “to encourage original investigation in science, to foster companionship and cooperation among scientists, and to maintain honor, integrity and honesty in all scientific activities.” It has nearly 65,000 active members, scientists and engineers, whose goal is to improve the human condition. The Hunter College Chapter was installed in 1969.

Academic Policies and Regulations

Students are expected to be familiar with the various requirements and procedures as given in this catalog and to follow them.

The Hunter College Senate, with authority granted to it by the CUNY Board of Trustees, determines all academic rules and regulations and approves all curricula. The Senate publishes the Senate News Bulletin to announce changes in rules and regulations. Students should also consult the Office of the Registrar’s Web site for any changes in regulations at http://registrar.hunter.cuny.edu. Students who believe that their individual circumstances warrant a variance from the rules and regulations listed in this catalog must proceed to obtain permission from the appropriate college authority. Only through the procedures listed below are such variations permitted.

Students should obtain written documentation for any such variations. Students should be wary of informal advice or undocumented claims that they can be exempt from any college rules.

  1. Inquiries concerning college regulations in general should be directed to the Office of Student Services. Appeals for administrative exceptions to academic rules and regulations (for example, exceptions to approved academic program loads) are heard in the Office of Student Services.
  2. Inquiries concerning the major should be directed to the departmental adviser in the major department or program and inquiries concerning a minor should be directed to the adviser in the minor department or program.
  3. Inquiries concerning the GER Core Requirement and the Foreign Language Requirement should be addressed to the appropriate departmental adviser or an adviser in the Office of Student Services. (Note: Students who matriculated prior to fall 2001 and follow the regulations for the Distribution Requirement should also see a departmental adviser or an adviser in the Office of Student Services.)
  4. Authorization for substitutions for specific Pluralism & Diversity course requirements must be made by the Senate’s GER Appeals Committee. Students should consult the procedure for appeals outlined below and go to the Office of the Hunter College Senate, Room 1018E, to obtain the proper forms for filing an appeal.
  5. The procedure for Grade Appeals appears below. Every student is obliged to determine that all requirements for the degree have been met before the date of graduation. No changes may be made to the student record transcript after the graduation date. Any “STOPS” not cleared by the graduation date will result in the withholding of diploma and transcripts. Incomplete (IN) grades received in the final semester must be completed by the graduation date. If not, an application to graduate for the following semester must be filed with the Graduation Audit Unit of the Registrar’s Office.

Students who are uncertain about the interpretation of any matter may learn under whose authority the matter rests by inquiring in the Office of Student Services. This catalog covers the general academic requirements consonant with earning a degree at Hunter College when this catalog went to press in 2007. Students are responsible for knowing all current regulations.

Grading System

Students are to be graded in courses according to the traditional system of letter grades (A, B, C, D and F).

Retention Standards The Board of Trustees has mandated uniform student retention standards for all the colleges that are part of the City University system. Under these standards, decisions about whether or not students may continue in a CUNY college are made on the basis of the grade point average (GPA). In order to make these decisions, course grades are assigned quality points (which count toward the GPA), as shown in the following table:

Quality Points Grade Definition (GPA Index)


97.5 - 100% 4.0


92.5 - 97.4% 4.0


90.0 - 92.4% 3.7


87.5 - 89.9% 3.3


82.5 - 87.4% 3.0


80.0 - 82.4% 2.7


77.5 - 79.9% 2.3


70.0 - 77.4% 2.0


60.0 - 69.9% 1.0


0.0 - 59.9% 0.0


Credit earned (equivalent to A, B, C) -


No credit granted -


Official withdrawal (cannot be assigned by instructor) -


Unofficial withdrawal -


Term’s work incomplete. This may include absence from final examination. -


F from incomplete; an administrative grade used when INC reverts to F; this occurs if grade is not made up by the end of the following semester. 0
#F, #FIN, #WU failing grade course repeated  

 (equivalent to F) for fall 2008, spring 2009 and summer 2009 ONLY

        *WN Unofficial withdrawal (Student never attended) - Not counted towards GPA  


Year’s course of study - must complete entire year of study -


Auditor - No Credit -


No grade submitted by instructor (an administrative grade which cannot be assigned by the instructor) -

(preceding a letter grade): authorized course was repeated



(preceeding a letter grade): unauthorized course was repeated -


Administrative withdrawal - Proof of immunization not provided -

Credit/No Credit A system based on the non-letter grades of Credit/No Credit, where Credit is the equivalent of A, B or C and No Credit is the equivalent of D or F. Credit/No Credit grades are not averaged into the GPA; course requirements are the same as in the traditional grading system.



There are certain restrictions about how and when the student may choose the Credit/No Credit system:

  1. A maximum of four courses (including repeated courses) at Hunter College may be taken on a Credit/No Credit basis excluding remedial/developmental courses and any courses with mandatory CR/NC grading.
  2. Credit/No Credit grades are not allowed for students on probation.
  3. When a student chooses the Credit/No Credit option and earns a D as the final grade, the student may choose to receive either the D or a grade of No Credit.
  4. If (as a result of a student’s request) a Credit/No Credit is given where it is not an allowed grade according to existing regulations, it will be converted to a letter grade by the Registrar’s Office. Credit grades will be changed to C; No Credit grades will be changed to F.
  5. With approval of the Senate, departments may prohibit the use of Credit/No Credit grades in major courses, especially in those areas in which outside certification is required. Credit/No Credit grades are not permitted in education, nursing, pre-engineering, premedical, health sciences, nutrition and food science and prelaw. All students should check with their departmental advisers for specific policies.

The Credit/No Credit system may be elected by students up until the beginning of the final exam (or the due date for handing in the last term paper, if there is no final exam). Credit/No Credit forms are available on the Office of the Registrar web page at http://registrar.hunter.cuny.edu. Full instructions are included on the form. Credit/No Credit is an agreement between a student and the student’s instructor or professor.  When departmental policies allow, request forms must be accepted by the instructor. Students requesting grading according to this system must satisfy whatever attendance requirement has been set by the instructor, complete all the assignments and take the final examination. It should be noted that the grade of No Credit shall be used only to replace the academic grades of D and F. It shall not be used to replace the grades of WU or IN. A No Credit grade may not override the FIN grade.

Courses at Other Accredited Institutions (Permit)

Currently enrolled degree students may take courses at other accredited institutions (CUNY or other) provided the appropriate procedures are followed. A department may refuse to authorize a permit if, in its judgment, it is inappropriate to do so.

Students wishing to apply for courses at another CUNY campus may apply to do so by registering for an E-permit through the CUNY portal available at www.cuny.edu. At the CUNY portal home page, you must log in to begin the process. Students wishing to register for courses at non-CUNY institutions must complete a permit form to attend another college. The form is available in the OASIS.

In all cases, permits are authorized by the appropriate department and administered by the Office of the Registrar.

It is the responsibility of students who study at other institutions to have official transcripts of their work sent to the Office of the Registrar. Effective fall 2004, grades for courses taken on permit at CUNY schools are posted to the student’s record and are computed in the GPA.

Note: Hunter students may not take courses on permit during their final semester prior to graduation.


Undergraduate students who need 15 credits or fewer to fulfill their degree requirements and who have completed the General Education Requirement (including pluralism and diversity, writing and foreign language requirements) and the major requirements and have fulfilled all college requirements for graduation, may apply for graduation-in-absentia if they must leave the city before completing their studies. They may attend an accredited college in the United States or abroad. The degree audit division of the Registrar’s office has further information. Students who must leave before these criteria are met should apply for transfer to another college. Students should contact Advising Services, Room 1119 East  http://www.hunter.cuny.edu/studentservices/advising for more information.

Retention on the Basis of Grade Point Average

General scholarship is indicated by a college GPA (also referred to as the “cumulative index” or “index”). Each student is expected to know how to figure the GPA and is expected to compute it each semester. Students admitted with advanced standing or transfer credits cannot use previous grades earned at other colleges in the computation of the GPA, but the number of their transfer credits will be added to the total Hunter College credits to determine retention. This means that students must have achieved a given GPA by the time they have completed a certain number of credits or they will be placed on probation and if insufficient improvement is made within a specified period, they will be subject to dismissal for poor scholarship. The standards guiding these decisions are as follows:

Retention and Probation-Undergraduate The grade point average earned over the total period of a student’s attendance indicates the adequacy of each student’s scholarship. Below you will find minimum standards for retention and probation. Students who fail to achieve the required academic standards will be placed on academic probation. During this probationary period students who make satisfactory academic progress will continue to maintain their academic standing with the college and their concurrent eligibility for financial aid. Students who fail to achieve the required academic standards while on probation will be dismissed from Hunter College and the university system. Reminder: Academic requirements are the student’s responsibility. A student is automatically on probation when he/she fails to achieve the required standards, whether he/she has received notification of such probation from the college or not. Therefore, always be aware of your cumulative GPA. Students on academic probation should visit the Center for Student Achievement, Room C001 Hunter North.

The following table shows the minimum grade point average which each undergraduate student must meet:

Total Credits Computed for the GPA Cumulative GPA
(A+ through F, WU, and FIN) (Index)
0-12 1.5
13-24 1.75
25+ 2.0

The academic probation status remains on students’ record for the entire semester on which the code was placed. Change of grades will only affect students’ probation status at the end of the semester in which the change of grade is posted. For example if a change of grade is submitted mid-semester resulting in the student’s GPA being raised to the required GPA the probation code will not be removed. Conversely, if the change of grade results the student’s grade point average dropping below the required GPA the student will not be place on probation mid-semester. The probation code is removed at the end of the semester if the student’s GPA reaches the required GPA.

Summer sessions are considered part of the following fall semester, therefore, grades earned during the Summer sessions will impact students’ probation status at the end of the following fall semester.

Hunter’s normal probation appeals procedure will continue to consider individual cases and to make such exception to these policies as circumstances may warrant.

Students dropped from the college may not be readmitted until they have been separated from the university for at least one semester or equivalent calendar time. Students must obtain an application for readmission at the Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Room 203 Hunter North. Students who are separated from the college may not enroll for credit-bearing courses in any unit of the university in any status.

Dismissal from the College and the City University

Students who fail to achieve the required academic standards will be placed on academic probation. Students who fail to achieve the required academic standards while on probation will be dismissed from Hunter College and the CUNY system.

Students may appeal an academic dismissal and should discuss the preparation of such an appeal with an academic adviser in the Office of Student Services, Room 1119 Hunter East. The Senate Committee on Student Standing reviews all appeals and makes the final determinations.

Tuition and fees will be refunded to a student who is dismissed for failure to meet the required academic standards after having registered.

Students who withdraw from the college when their GPA is below the required academic standards will be automatically dismissed from the university. Students who have been dismissed or who have withdrawn when their GPA is below required academic standards may not be readmitted until they have been separated from the university system for at least one fall or spring semester. Students who wish to apply for readmission after separation of one or more semesters must file an application at the Office of Admissions, Room 203 Hunter North. Applications must be filed at least three months prior to the beginning of the semester in which the student plans to re-enter.

Until such time as they are eligible to apply for readmission, students who are separated from the university may not enroll for credit-bearing courses in any unit of the university in any status.

Incomplete Work in Course When a student for valid reason does not complete the work assigned in a course (including the final exam, papers, etc.) and in the view of the instructor still has a reasonable chance to pass the course, the student shall be given the grade INC (incomplete). The student must explain the reason to the instructor or, in the absence of the instructor, to the department chair and arrange a schedule for making up the missing coursework. These steps must be taken as soon as possible and no later than the end of the second week of the following semester. The student shall then be given the opportunity to complete the course without penalty beyond previously established penalties for lateness.

The length of time permitted for completing missing coursework remains at the discretion of the instructor and shall be indicated in writing to the student, but shall not extend beyond the end of the semester following the one in which the course was taken. Unless the student submits the work by the date specified by the instructor, the grade will automatically become FIN on the student’s permanent record. (Under certain circumstances, where the student must repeat class sessions or laboratories in a course not given during the following semester, the FIN grade may later be converted to the appropriate letter grade.)

Instructors and departments may choose to have make-up final examinations administered by the college. Such examinations will be given before Monday of the seventh week of the following semester. It is the responsibility of the student who must take an absentee examination to determine from the instructor or department whether it will be administered by the college, to file the appropriate form and to pay any required fee by the deadline specified by the college.

If the faculty member wishes to extend the deadline for the student to complete the coursework beyond one semester, the faculty member and the student must enter into a written contract clearly specifying the deadline. This contract must be written during the semester following the one in which the course was taken. The student must be aware that the INC grade will change to a FIN grade until the work is completed. The written contract must accompany the change of grade form. If a student has not filed a contract with the faculty member but still wishes to complete the work and have a FIN grade changed, the student can appeal to the Senate Grade Appeals Committee. The appeal must include the reason for failing to complete the work and must be accompanied by a supporting letter from the faculty member who issued the INC grade or, if the faculty member is no longer at the college, from the department chair. Appeals with no endorsement will be denied.

Repeating Courses

  1. Students shall not be permitted to repeat a course in which they have received a grade of A, B, C or CR unless that course has been designated as repeatable in the course description of the college catalog.
  2. Students may repeat a course in which a D was received. The credit for that course will be applied toward the degree once, but both the grade of D and the second grade earned are calculated in the grade point average. If the course is part of a sequence, it should be repeated before continuing the sequence.
  3. A student who has received a grade of D or NC twice (or any combination of these grades) in the same course may re register for the course only with the permission of the department offering the course. This rule does not apply to ENGL 12000  .
  4. If a student receives a failing grade (F, WU, FIN) in a course and then retakes that course and receives a grade of A, B, C or CR, the initial failing grade will remain on his/her academic record, but will no longer be computed into the grade point average. A “Failing Grade Course Repeat Form” must be filed in the OASIS, Room 217 Hunter North.

    • The original course in which the failing grade was received must have been taken after September 1, 1984 and repeated after September 1, 1990.
    • No more than 16 credits may be deleted from the calculation of the cumulative grade point average.
    • If two or more failing grades have been received for the same course and a grade of C, CR or better is subsequently earned, all of the failing grades for that course will be deleted from the grade point average, subject to the 16-credit limit.
    • The 16-credit limit applies cumulatively to courses taken at all CUNY colleges.
    • The repeated course must be taken at the same college as the initially failed course.

School of Nursing

In order to be allowed to continue in the nursing major, students must receive minimum grades of C in all required nursing courses. One required nursing course (Generic Pathway: NURS 200, 310, 312, 331, 332, 380, 410, 412, 419, 421; RN Pathway: NURS 379, 380, 381, 384, 480, 482) is repeatable once by students who have received a failing grade. Students who fail a second required nursing course in the sequence may not repeat that course and may not continue in the nursing major. This policy applies even though a grade appeal is in progress.

Note: Other colleges, graduate schools, professional schools, services and employers may calculate a grade point average inclusive of the failing grades. For questions regarding this policy, check with the Office of
Student Services.

Other Academic Regulations

Absence of Instructor If a class finds that the instructor is still absent after 10 minutes of the period has elapsed, a representative should be sent to the appropriate department office for instructions. The class should remain until the representative returns.

Academic Calendar and Sessions The fall semester starts approximately August 26, the spring semester starts approximately January 27 and two summer sessions of six weeks begin in June and mid-July. Consult the Schedule of Classes or the Registrar’s Web site at http://registrar.hunter.cuny.edu for specific starting dates.

Courses are offered from early morning to late evening each semester and in the summer. Students are expected to attend both the fall and spring semesters; students who do not must apply for readmission.

Attendance in the summer program is optional. Students who receive financial aid under the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) should realize that these awards are available for no more than a total of eight semesters (10 for SEEK). TAP assistance for a summer session will count as one-half a semester; the other half may be used only in a subsequent summer session.

Academic Honesty – Plagiarism Any deliberate borrowing of the ideas, terms, statements or knowledge of others without clear and specific acknowledgment of the source is plagiarism. It is, in fact, intellectual theft. Serious students, scholars and teachers agree that they cannot tolerate plagiarism. It is not, of course, plagiarism to borrow the ideas, terms, statements or knowledge of others if the source is clearly and specifically acknowledged. Any conscientious student will, from time to time, consult critical material and may wish to include some of the insights, terms or statements encountered. When this happens, the source must be given full credit. This means listing the source in a footnote and/or appended bibliography and footnoting all quotations or close paraphrasing, including the page number of the passage in the source.

Plagiarism will result in disciplinary proceedings. A more detailed explanation of plagiarism and the accepted procedures for acknowledging sources is available from the department of English or the office of the Hunter College Senate.

Academic Honesty – Purchase of Written Assignments and “Cheating” Sale of term papers, student essays, reports and other written assignments for use in credit courses is a misdemeanor under section 213-b of the Education Law. This law is interpreted to include material advertised to be used for “research purposes.” The use of material (whether or not purchased) prepared by another and submitted by students as their own will result in disciplinary proceedings. Similarly, copying or otherwise obtaining another’s answers to questions on examinations or assignments (commonly called “cheating”) will result in disciplinary proceedings.

Note: See theAppendix F Hunter College Policy on Academic Integrity: Procedures for Academic Dishonesty .

Appeals – Rules and Regulations Appeals for administrative exceptions to academic rules and regulations — including such matters as exceptions to approved program loads, variation of the General Education Requirements: Core Requirement and the Foreign Language Requirement and other academic situations involving classwork — are heard in the Office of Student Services; appeals of the GER: Pluralism and Diversity Requirement are heard by the Senate Offices.

Appeals – General Education Requirement Any student wishing to formulate an appeal for substitutions or exemptions from a specific General Education Requirement (i.e., Core Requirement, Foreign Language Requirement or Pluralism and Diversity Requirement) as described below should do so through the General Education Requirement Appeals Committee of the Hunter College Senate, Room 1018E. (Note: Students who matriculated prior to fall 2001 and follow the regulations for the Distribution Requirement may also appeal to this committee.) The student must present clear evidence that:

  1. it is impossible for him/her to complete the requirement as specified in the catalog and
  2. he/she can offer an adequate substitute that meets the academic objectives of the requirement; such as:

    1. The student must demonstrate that a “special topics” course he/she has taken fulfills the academic objectives of the requirement, though it has not yet been approved by the Hunter College Senate as fulfilling the requirement;

      – or –
    2. The student must demonstrate that a course transferred from another college or university adequately fulfills the academic objectives of the requirement.

Appeals – Grades When a student considers a final course grade unsatisfactory, the student should first confer with the instructor regarding the accuracy of the grade received. This conference should be held within the first three weeks of the semester following receipt of the grade. At this time, errors may be corrected. If the grade is not an error, the student and instructor must together review all class material pertinent to the grade. If the student is not satisfied or if the instructor does not confer with the student within the first three weeks of the semester, the student should promptly contact the department chair by submitting a written appeal, consisting of a statement giving the factual reasons and basis for the complaint. The student has the right to request in writing that the chair appoint a student as a member of the department/school Grade Appeals Committee. This appeal at the department/school level must be submitted within the first five weeks of the semester following receipt of the grade, in accordance with the “College-wide Grade Appeals Procedures” adopted by the Senate in fall 1985. Copies of this procedure may be obtained in the Senate Office, the Office of Student Services or departmental offices.

Students appealing grades to the School of Nursing or the School of Health Sciences should direct their appeal to the director of the school. Students appealing grades to the School of Social Work should direct the appeal to the dean of the school, who shall carry out the responsibilities of the department chair.


  • Currently enrolled degree and non-degree students: Students register for the course online at their CUNY Portal account and then provide a letter on letterhead stationery, signed by the Chairperson of the academic department offering the course and approving the audit. This letter must be delivered to the OASIS before the last day of the first week of classes during posted office hours. This option is only available through the first week of classes for each semester or session. Audit status will not be posted for students after the last day of the first week of classes. Audit grade status cannot be reversed once posted.


  • Senior Citizens: Students classified as Senior Citizens by the college may register as auditors only.
  • Newly admitted and/or readmitted degree and non-degree students:  Consult with the Office of Advising Services, Room 1119 East.
  • Auditors pay required tuition and fees. No credit or grade will be given for audited classes.

Class Attendance All students must report to classes during the first week of classes. Students will lose their place in some classes if they do not attend the first class meeting. (See, for example, the “Notes” for biology and chemistry in the Schedule of Classes.)

The instructor has the right to set attendance requirements for the course, to keep attendance records, and to consider attendance in the calculation of final grades. Such attendance policies will be listed in the course syllabus. Students may not use absence from class as an excuse for not fulfilling all course requirements.

Students who have earned fewer than 15 credits of college-level work are limited in the number of cuts they may take in a course without risking a lower grade, as follows:

  1-cr course-2 hrs of cuts
  2-cr course-4 hrs of cuts
  3-cr course-6 hrs of cuts
  4-cr course-6 hrs of cuts (equal to 1 lab period and 1 lecture)

College Calendar: Schedule of Final Examinations A final examination is required in each course at the college during the examination period scheduled by the registrar, except in those courses in which the department has ruled that no examination shall be given. Since the final examination week is part of the semester hour requirement as mandated by the State Education Department, the period scheduled for final examinations should be used either for the final examination in the course or as an instructional period.

Students in an examination room may not have in their possession or within their reach any books or papers except those permitted by the instructor for use in the examination. Notes normally carried in pockets or handbags should be placed completely out of reach.

Students taking a drawing examination should bring their own implements. Students are not to possess an examination book at any time except during the examination period. Students should carefully fill out all information asked for on the front cover of every examination book used. If scratch paper is needed, students should use the back pages of the examination book; no other paper of any kind is to be used. All matter that is not intended to be read and marked by the examiner should be crossed out (but not torn out) before the examination book is handed in. No pages are to be torn from examination books.

The student is responsible for making sure that the instructor receives the examination book. Students may leave the examination room as soon as they finish. Quiet should be maintained in passing through the halls.

Students obliged to withdraw from an examination because of illness will be counted as absent from the examination and are permitted to take an absentee examination, as explained in the section on Incomplete Work in Course, above.

For information on absence from final examination for other reasons, see section on Incomplete Work in Course, above.

Suspension of Classes Announcements concerning emergency suspension of classes will be made on the following radio stations:

  WFAS 1230 AM and 104 FM
  WINS 1010 AM
  WADO 1280 AM (Spanish-speaking)
  WCBS 880 AM and 101.1 FM
  WBLS 107.5 FM
  WLIB 1140 AM

Additionally, announcements will be posted on the Hunter College Web site at http://www.hunter.cuny.edu.

Access to College Files The Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include the right to inspect the student’s education records; the right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading; the right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records; and the right to request that certain information not be released without his or her prior written consent by filing a letter with the Office of the Registrar. (see: Hunter College Students’ Rights Concerning Education Records )

Withdrawal from Part of Program The Board of Trustees has ruled that students have until the end of the third week of classes (or during the summer session, the end of the first week of classes) to drop a course without penalty. This period coincides with the refund period. The course will not appear on the student’s record. A student may withdraw officially, with a grade of “W,” between the end of the third week of classes and the first day of the tenth week of classes. (During the summer session a student may withdraw officially between the second week of classes and the first day of the fifth week of classes.) To do so, a student should obtain a withdrawal form from the OASIS. After the deadline, official withdrawals will be considered for approval by the Office of Student Services. Approval will be granted only when it is clear that the student has good and sufficient reason for withdrawing. Students should be aware that withdrawal from classes may have an impact on their financial aid. A student should make an appointment with an adviser in the Office of Student Services, Room 1119 Hunter East, before proceeding with the withdrawal process. The problem often has other solutions.

Unofficial Withdrawal When a student ceases to participate in a course but has not withdrawn officially, the student shall be deemed to have withdrawn unofficially. Evidence of unofficial withdrawal shall include all of the following: failure to attend class for at least four weeks consecutively (or during the summer session, two weeks consecutively) through the end of the semester (the last day of classes); failure to attend the final exam; and failure over this period to meet any other course requirements (e.g., to submit paper assignments and take examinations). The unofficial withdrawal (“WU”) by university regulations is equivalent to a grade of F. Cessation of attendance or unofficial withdrawal may also have negative financial aid consequences.

Withdrawal from College Students who become ill or who experience personal difficulties or a lack of interest that prevents their concentrating on college work, are encouraged to withdraw completely from college. Failure under such conditions can only make an eventual return to college more difficult. Deadlines for such withdrawals are the same as for withdrawals from part of the program (see above).

Such students should make an appointment to see a counselor in the Office of Student Services. Students must return books to the library and all college equipment to the department to which it belongs. Students who are unable to return to Hunter to withdraw in person should write or have someone else write to the Office of Student Services. The letter should contain (1) the name under which the student is registered at Hunter; (2) the Social Security number; (3) the return address and telephone number; (4) the reason for withdrawal, with appropriate documentation (medical, psychological or employee) and the last date of attendance; and (5) a copy of the Bursar’s receipt.

Students who stop attending without following the above procedures are considered to have withdrawn unofficially and will receive WUs, which are equivalent to Fs in computing the GPA.

Students whose GPA at the time of withdrawal is below the minimum required for continued matriculation shall be considered as having been dropped for poor scholarship. Students who have withdrawn from the college, officially or unofficially, must apply for readmission in the Office of Admissions, Room 203 Hunter North, at least three months prior to the semester in which they wish to re-enter.