Nov 20, 2019
This graduate program prepares candidates to teach Dance PreK - Grade 12 to students of diverse backgrounds, abilities and interests. The curriculum is enriched by repertory classes with New York City-based choreographers, international performance opportunities and internships at various venues.
This program offers three tracks:
- TRACK 1: Those with at least 34 credits in Dance but who do not have NYS certification in Dance.
- TRACK 2: Those with initial NYS certification in Dance.
- TRACK 3: Those with at least 34 credits in Dance and have initial NYS certification in a subject area other than Dance.
1. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0.
2. A minimum of 34 credits in dance with a GPA in dance of at least 3.0.
3. DVD or link to 1-3 clips of your creative work - between 5-15 minutes in total and a curriculum vitae.For more information on the additional admission requirements, visit the Dance program website: www.hunter.cuny.edu/dance.
4. Submission of official score report on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
5. For Track 1 only: A general education core in the liberal arts and sciences to include the following (in addition to dance): 6 credits in English, 6 credits in a language other than English (3 years of high school study in the same foreign language with grades of C or better documented by high school transcript will meet this requirement), 6 credits in social studies (to include at least one course in U.S. history or U.S. geography), and 12 credits in math/science/technology (a college course in calculus meets 6 credits of this requirement).
A. 12-credit Progress Standards
1. Students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 in order to continue in the program.
2. Students with more than one course grade below B in the first 12 credits will not be allowed to continue in the program.
3. Students who receive a grade of F in any course in the first 12 credits will not be allowed to continue in the program.
4. Students with one grade of IN (Incomplete) within the first 12 credits are restricted from registering for more than one additional course. Those with two or more INs will not be allowed to register for any courses.
Note: It is recommended that when not enrolled in any course students take an official leave of absence to complete their INs.
B. Fieldwork Benchmarks
All field experiences and student teaching will take place in New York City public schools.
Any student who receives a grade of B-, C+ or C in a supervised field experience or student teaching or practicum course must apply to the chairperson of the department for permission to repeat that course, which may be repeated only once. Any student who receives a grade of F or WU may not reregister and will not be allowed to continue in the program.
Student teaching and practicum courses listed as “by permission only” will require that students have passed the EAS and the relevant CST certification exams.
Students must have no outstanding IN grades or admissions conditions in order to be given permission for registration.
Course of Study
Track 1 - 49
Track 2 - 30
Track 3 - 30
Additional Courses for Track 1
Additional Course for Track 2
Additional Course for Track 3
1. An overall GPA of 3.0.
2. Successful completion of an online Dance Education Professional Teaching Portfolio (PTP)
3. Participation in a final performance event as a performer, choreographer, or technical production crew member
4. Track 2 and 3 students must maintain a valid and appropriate NYS certificate.
5. Students must complete the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) workshop.