The TESOL Adult Program prepares students to teach adults in college, continuing education, literacy, business, private, and other community, academic and professional programs in the United States or abroad. It does not prepare teachers for New York State certification to teach in the public schools.
Links to the ESL classroom are emphasized and students are exposed to extensive field experiences and practice. Students should be prepared to spend considerable amounts of time observing and participating in educational settings in addition to attending classes at Hunter.
1. Bachelor’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.0 or a master’s degree with a GPA of at least 3.5.
2. 12 credits in foreign language documented on a transcript or equivalent credits on a standardized proficiency test such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or the NYU Proficiency Test in Foreign Language.
3. Submission of two letters of recommendation to be included in the graduate application.
4. A statement of purpose to be included in the graduate application.
5. Satisfactory communication skills, as demonstrated through an oral interview and an on-site writing sample.
1. Maintain an overall GPA of at least 3.0 in order to continue the program.
2. Students with more than one course grade below B in the first 12 credits will not be allowed to continue in the program.
3. A student who receives a grade F in any course in the first 12 credits will not be allowed to continue in the program.
4. Students with one grade of IN (incomplete) within the first 12 credits are restricted from registering for more than one additional course. Those with two or more INs will not be allowed to register for any courses. NOTE: It is recommended that students with two or more INs take an official leave of absence.