Oct 28, 2021
This is a five-course, 14 credit free-standing program of study for two groups of students.
The first group consists of teachers, supervisors or administrators who already have a master’s degree and either permanent or professional teaching certification. The second group consists of individuals with a bachelor’s degree who hold a teaching position in a bilingual setting and have an initial certificate.
The program has been designed to prepare individuals to become effective bilingual practitioners with high levels of competence using two languages as mediums of instruction.
Students with a Master’s Degree
- A master’s degree from an accredited institution acceptable to Hunter College with an overall GPA of at least 3.5.
- Initial, professional or permanent certification in any of the areas below, as indicated in the State regulations:
- Early childhood education (birth-grade 2)
- Childhood education (grades 1- 6)
- Common Branches PreK-grade 6
- Middle childhood education (grades 5 - 9)
- Adolescent education (grades 7 - 12)
- Special subjects
- Literacy education
- Students with disabilities in early childhood, childhood, middle childhood, or adolescent education or special education K-12
- Teachers of students who are blind or visually impaired, deaf or hard of hearing, or speech and language impaired
- An on-site writing sample in English and in Spanish and an interview conducted in English and in Spanish.
- Two letters of recommendation including one from a supervisor.
Students with a Bachelor’s Degree:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution acceptable to Hunter College with an overall GPA of 2.8 or better.
- A teaching position in a bilingual setting and NYS initial or permanent certification.
- An on-site writing sample in English and in Spanish and an interview conducted in English and Spanish.
- A recommendation from a supervisor.
Bilingual Extension (Spanish-English) Course of Study
Total Credits: 14 credits
- An overall GPA of 3.0
- A grade of at least B in the field experience course BILED 711.50.