Dec 14, 2019
Undergraduate Catalog 2017-2018 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Early Childhood Education, Birth-Grade 2 - BA
The Early Childhood, Birth through Grade 2 undergraduate teacher education program prepares students to become New York State certified teachers of early childhood education.
This program is designed to prepare prospective teachers to serve as high-quality educators for students in urban schools and other childcare settings. Teacher candidates will take a specified sequence of education courses in addition to fulfilling the CUNY Common Core Requirement and the requirements of their liberal arts or sciences major. These programs include fieldwork in New York City Public schools.
This is a 36-credit program in which students have an option to complete the course of study over four or six semesters.
Applying for Admission
Before Hunter students can declare a School of Education major or minor, they must apply to the School of Education and be accepted. The School of Education application is open to current Hunter students throughout the year, and can be accessed online through the School of Education website. Students interested in an Education program should apply as early as is possible in the semester prior to the one in which they plan to enroll. Transfer students should seek advisement about applying to the School of Education as soon as they have been admitted to Hunter. Transfer students who have a GPA of at least 3.3 may apply to start an Education program in their first term at Hunter.
All applicants must complete an on-site writing test to assess written English skills, as well as participate in a group interview with other students and School of Education faculty members. Accepted students will declare both an appropriate major in the School of Arts & Sciences, and a major or minor in the School of Education.
Undergraduate teacher education programs require a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. Candidates for BA/MA programs must also receive approval for graduate-level study by the relevant department in the School of Arts & Sciences. The School of Education does not accept nondegree or second-degree students. Meeting minimum admission requirements does not guarantee entry into the program.
- Complete at least 30 credits toward the Bachelor’s degree. Students with more than 72 credits should consider pursuing Early Childhood Education at the graduate level.
- Attain a Hunter College Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or better.
- Have taken the CUNY COMPASS exam for math placement, or taken MATH 10100, or have an equivalent pre-requisite for MATH 10400.
- Have completed ENGL 12000 (or a 200- or 300-level writing course) with a grade of B or better.
- Declare an appropriate liberal arts and sciences major either preceding admission or upon admission to the program.
- Have completed at least 12 credits at Hunter College. Transfer students with a GPA of 3.3 or better may be immediately considered for admission.
Liberal Arts & Sciences Major Requirement
All students in School of Education programs must also declare a major in the School of Arts & Sciences. This major must lead to a BA degree.
See the School of Arts & Sciences for more information on major options.
New York State Liberal Arts & Sciences Distribution Requirement
The courses listed below are required for all Early Childhood teacher candidates, and constitute several of the pre-requisites for courses in the program. A minimum grade of C must be earned in these classes in order for them to count towards the program.
(These courses do not have to be completed for a student to be considered for admission):
Academic Progress Standards
Students must meet the following criteria in order to continue in the program:
- A minimum grade of C or better in all non-field courses (Courses can only be repeated once)
- A minimum grade of B or better in all fieldwork courses. (Fieldwork courses can only be repeated once)
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Complete 6 credits of study in a foreign language prior to the completion of ECC 306: Language and Literacy for Children of Diverse Backgrounds, K-2
- Complete Math 104 with a minimum grade of C prior to registering for ECC 310: Mathematics in Early Childhood.
- Complete with a minimum grade of C two semesters of natural science prior to registering for ECC 311: Early Childhood Science and Inquiry-Based Learning. Courses used to meet CUNY’s Common Core in Life and Physical Sciences, and in Scientific World can be used to meet this requirement (with the exception of computer science (CSCI) and economics (ECO) courses).
- Take and pass both the Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST) and the Educating All Students test (EAS) of the New York State Teacher Certification Exams prior to student teaching.
- Complete at least 21 credits in an approved Arts & Sciences major before student teaching.
- Follow the course sequence, which represents the required classes that Early Childhood students must take each semester. The courses for each semester must be completed successfully in that term.
School of Education Exit Standards
Students must meet the following criteria in order to graduate with a School of Education major or minor:
- Have an overall GPA of at least 3.0
- Complete the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA) anti-bullying workshop. The DASA workshop is required for all students in a NYS certiifcation program at the School of Education. The workshop requires six clock hours of coursework or training.